Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study are the corporate limits of the Town of Chincoteague. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Main Street from Beebe Street to Richardson Street
- Ridge Road from Beebe Street to Church Street
- Chicken City Road from Church Street to Deep Hole Road
- Church Street from North Main Street to Ridge Road
- Deep Hole Road from Pension Street to County Dock Road
- Beebe Street from Main Street to Ridge Road
- Maddox Boulevard from North Main Street to Federal Property
- Pension Street from Church Street to Deep Hole Road
- Bunting Road from Main Street to Ridge Road
- Willow Street from Bunting Road to Church Street
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in August 1998
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Chincoteagues' 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that were raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan, February 21, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Chincoteague Municipal Building located at 6150 Community Drive. The purpose of this meeting was to describe the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Chincoteague thoroughfare system. VDOT representatives were available for questions during the meeting.
On August 5, 2002, the Chincoteague Town Council adopted the Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan.
A summary of the Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking on the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Chincoteague 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Chincoteague from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Chincoteague.
Local Contact: James M. West
Chincoteague Town Manager
6150 Community Drive
Chincoteague, VA 23336
Phone: (757) 336-6519
VDOT Contact: Eric Stringfield
Virginia Department of Transportation
1700 North Main Street
Suffolk, Virginia 23434