Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. This study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study are the corporate limits of the town of Culpeper. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Route 3 (Fredericksburg Road) from the East Corporate Limits to Main Street
- Business Route 15 from the South Corporate Limits to the North Corporate Limits
- Business Route 29 (Madison Road) from the South Corporate Limits to Fredericksburg Road
- Route 229 (Main Street) from 0.05 miles south of James Madison Highway to the North Corporate Limits
- Route 522 (Sperryville Pike) from West Corporate Limits to West Street
- Route 522 (Evans Street) from West Street to Main Street
- Route 900 (Chandler Street) from West Street to East Corporate Limits
- Route 910 (Laurel Street) from Orange Road to Madison Road
- Route 920 (Old Brandy Road) from Piedmont Street to James Madison Highway
- Route 940 (Piedmont Street) from Main Street to Old Brandy Road
- Route 950 (West Street) from Madison Road to Williams Street
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in June 2000
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Culpeper's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that were raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan, June 11, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 6:45 PM in the Culpeper County Board Room (1st floor) located at 302 North Main Street. The purpose of this meeting was to describe the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Culpeper thoroughfare system. VDOT representatives will be available for questioning during the meeting.
The Culpeper Town Council adopted the Town of Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan on July 9, 2002.
A summary of the Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link
In addition, click the following link to view the Culpeper 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Culpeper from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Culpeper.
Local Contact: Brannon Godfrey
118 W. Davis Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
Phone: (540) 727-3421
VDOT Contact: John A. Giometti, P.E.
1601 Orange Road