Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The recently completed Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study were the corporate limits of the Town of Tazewell as they existed when the study was initiated in 1999. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Business Route 19/460 (Main Street) from the west corporate limits to Business Route 19/460 (Fincastle Turnpike)
- Business Route 19/460 (Fincastle Turnpike) from Business Route 19/460 (Main Street) to the north corporate limits
- Route 16 (Riverside Drive) from the north corporate limits to Route 61
- Route 16 (Tazewell Avenue) from Route 61 to Business Route 19/460 (Fincastle Turnpike)
- 18th Street from Magnolia Avenue to Sycamore Street
- Route 61 from Route 16 (Tazewell Avenue) to the east corporate limits
- Alternative Route 16 (Fairground Road) within corporate limits from Route 16 (Riverside Drive) to Business Route 19/460 (Main Street)
- Ben Bolt Avenue from Business Route 19/460 (Fincastle Turnpike) to Route 61
- Pisgah Road from Alternative Route 16 (Fairground Road) to the west corporate limits
Data collected for the study of the town included:
- traffic counts conducted in June ’99
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Tazewell’s 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens. A public meeting was held on November 14, 2000 at the Tazewell Municipal Building by the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Town of Tazewell. The purpose of the meeting was to present the draft recommendations included in the Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan and to allow Tazewell citizens to comment on the plan. The Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan was approved by the Tazewell Town Council on December 12, 2000.
A summary of the Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Buena Vista.
In addition, click the following to view the Tazewell 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Tazewell from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Tazewell.
Tazewell Town Manager
201 Central Avenue
Tazewell, VA 24651
Phone: (276) 988-2501
Virginia Department of Transportation
Transportation Planning Engineer
1401 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219