High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) in Hampton Roads:
Interstate 264 – Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Interstate 64 – Chesapeake / Hampton / Newport News
Interstate 564 – Norfolk
Occupancy: During HOV restricted hours, travelers must be HOV-2+ (two or more people in the vehicle). *Note*: Travelers who do not meet the HOV-2+ requirement during the posted HOV restricted hours will be subject to enforcement from the Virginia State Police.
Type: The far left lanes of I-264 and I-64 are open to HOV-2+ riders only during peak travel periods Monday through Friday. The restricted lanes are clearly marked with a diamond and signage prior to entry. Outside of HOV-2+ enforcement hours, the lanes remain open to all motorists.
Hours: HOV-2+ enforcement will be in effect:
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday between the Rosemont Road (Exit 18) and City Hall Avenue (Exit 10) in Norfolk
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between City Hall Avenue (Exit 10) and Rosemont Road (Exit 18)
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday -Friday starting before Battlefield Boulevard (Exit 290) in Chesapeake and ending between Indian River Road (Exit 286) and the I-264 interchange in Norfolk at mile marker 285
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday starting past the I-264 interchange in Norfolk and ending past Battlefield Boulevard (Exit 290) in Chesapeake
- Eastbound and westbound 6 - 8 a.m. and 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between the I-664 interchange in Hampton (Exit 264) and Jefferson Avenue in Newport News (Exit 255)
- Westbound 6 - 8 a.m. Monday - Friday between the I-64 interchange and the runway tunnel
- Eastbound 4 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday between the runway tunnel and the I-64 interchange
64 Express Lanes (New) – Norfolk
- The 64 Express Lanes are on 8.4 miles of I-64 between the I-264 interchange and I-564 in Norfolk. Tolling is in effect westbound 5 - 9 a.m. and eastbound 2 - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday.
During operating hours, solo drivers may choose to use E-ZPass to pay a variable toll for use of the lanes, and HOV-2+ riders may travel free with an E-ZPass Flex transponder switched to “HOV ON.”
All solo drivers and HOV-2+ riders wishing to use the 64 Express Lanes during operating hours must have a funded and properly mounted E-ZPass transponder in their vehicles.
Outside operating hours, the lanes are free and open to all motorists with no E-ZPass or HOV requirements.
For more about the 64 Express Lanes, visit www.64ExpressLanes.org.