Fredericksburg Safety Rest Area / Welcome Center
Location: Interstate 95 South at mile marker 131
The I-95 South Fredericksburg Welcome Center has approximately 14,500 square feet.
The handicap-accessible safety rest area / welcome center features modern rest room facilities (including family friendly stalls) plus vending machines and tables.
Outside, visitors will find:
- Car, truck and bus parking
- Well-lit secure walking paths
- Picnic shelters and tables
The facility was designed and constructed to meet the United States Green Building Council’s LEED™ (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver Certification.
LEED™ construction practices minimize environmental impacts, feature conservation measures, promote recycling and provide an energy-efficient facility.
This will help the commonwealth save money and better serve travelers. Details > (PDF, 847 KB)
In the Fredericksburg facility, those practices include:
- Saving $8,000 annually in electricity costs and using 25 percent less energy through high-efficiency lighting and heat pumps, an energy recovery unit and occupancy sensors
Recycling, reusing or otherwise diverting from a landfill 2,200 tons, or 75 percent, of the old building, site structures and construction waste
Using recycled materials in 20 percent of the construction products including steel, roofing, terrazzo flooring and drywall
Using 45 percent less water and conserving 900,000 gallons of potable water by using innovative plumbing fixtures
- Retaining 75 percent of the existing habitat around the building and using only native plants and trees to replace what was disturbed
- Using only low-emitting adhesives, sealants and paints in the building for a safer indoor environment for staff and visitors
Car spaces – 59
Car handicapped spaces – 4
Truck / bus spaces – 21
Handicapped bus spaces - 2
State police spaces - 1
Return to Rest Areas and Welcome Centers
Questions? Call 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623).