Winter Travel Info
Staying Safe in a Winter Storm
The safest place during a winter storm is indoors.
70 percent of snow-related deaths occur in automobiles. Play it safe. If you don’t have to go out, don’t.
Give crews room to clear roads. This way, first-responders can respond quickly.
Get current road conditions: Call or visit 511 | Download the app.
Call 1-800-367-ROAD or contact us with questions or to report issues.
- Online Snowplow Tracker Tool
In your area, find out where plows have been as well as where they are headed. Watch a video to learn more.
- VDOT Answers: The Top 5 Snow Removal Questions
- VDOT Answers: How to Properly Shovel Your Driveway (YouTube Video)
Winter Weather Preparations
Snow Materials / Equipment / Budget
- Available equipment by VDOT district
- Snow removal budget
- How VDOT keeps roads clear in winter
- Snow removal preparations and procedures
- Equipment and supplies
- Be prepared for winter driving
- Sodium chloride, calcium chloride, abrasives
Page last modified: Jan. 14, 2019