Statewide Transportation Improvement Program
The Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) is Virginia’s federally required four-year program that identifies the transportation projects (highway, passenger rail, freight, public transit, bicycle and pedestrian) that will utilize federal transportation funding or require approval from either the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) or Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
The program must include all projects in an urbanized area that are included in an MPO’s TIP (Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Improvement Program) as well as federally funded projects in the nonmetropolitan areas of Virginia. Currently there are fifteen MPO areas.
For more information about each MPO’s TIP, please click the corresponding link for the area.
- Bristol MPO – Bristol District
- Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO – Culpeper District
- Fredericksburg MPO – Fredericksburg District
- Hampton Roads TPO - Hampton Roads District
- Central Virginia Transportation Planning Organization – Lynchburg District
- Danville MPO – Lynchburg District
- National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board – Northern Virginia District
- Richmond MPO – Richmond District
- Tri-Cities MPO – Richmond District
- Roanoke Valley MPO – Salem District
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham MPO – Staunton District
- Staunton/Augusta/Waynesboro MPO (SAW) – Staunton District
- WinFred MPO (Winchester) – Staunton District
- New River Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization - Salem District
- Kingsport Metropolitan Planning Organization - Bristol District
Federal regulations require each state to produce a STIP at least once every four years; however, Virginia updates their STIP every three years to ensure the program never lapses. Federal regulations require that the STIP demonstrate fiscal constraint to show that the state is not scheduling more transportation projects for construction than it has funding for.
Federal Fiscal Years 2021 – 24 STIP
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) developed Virginia’s STIP for Federal Fiscal Years 2021 – 24. VDOT and DRPT worked in cooperation with the MPOs to update their TIPs which are included without change into Virginia’s STIP. VDOT and DRPT were also in cooperation with transportation planning officials in nonmetropolitan areas on inclusion of federally funded projects in the nonmetropolitan areas of Virginia.
Virginia provides many opportunities for the public to provide input on transportation projects and priorities as part of the continuing transportation planning process for the development of the STIP and the state required Six-Year Improvement Program.
On Sept. 30, 2020, the FHWA and FTA approved the Federal Fiscal Years 2021 – 24 STIP.
In accordance with federal requirements, the 2021 – 24 STIP has been modified to meet the Performance Based Planning and Programming requirements for Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan. This modification to the STIP was prepared as an addendum to the STIP Appendix F: Performance Based Planning and Programming.
- Letter of approval from the FHWA and FTA
- Approved federal Fiscal Years 2021-24 STIP
- Live federal Fiscal Years 2021 – 24 STIP Report
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP
- July 2019 STIP Procedures Document and Grouping Addendum
VDOT staff updates and maintains project information for the STIP Groupings in a STIP Groupings Tracking Database. Projects are entered in the database as various actions are submitted in FHWA’s Fiscal Management Information System (FMIS). Reports from the database are regularly shared with FHWA. Below is the Federal Fiscal Years 2021-24 STIP Groupings Tracking Report as of March 31, 2021. The STIP Groupings Tracking Report will be updated and posted quarterly.
- How to read the tracking sheets
- Hampton Roads
- Northern Virginia
Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 21 STIP
As a result of federally required public involvement for each MPO’s TIP, the Fall Transportation Meetings and Spring Public Meetings, comments were received and incorporated into the Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 21 STIP. On September 29, 2017 the FHWA and FTA approved the Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 21 STIP.
- Letter of approval from the FHWA and FTA
- Letter Removing Conditional Planning Finding
- Federal Fiscal Years 2018 - 21 STIP report
- STIP Addendum for Safety Performance Measures
- STIP Addendum for Transit Asset Management
- STIP Addendum for Pavement and Bridge Performance Measures
- STIP Addendum for Highway System Performance Measures
- STIP Addendum for Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program Performance Measure
Information on the STIP from previous years is available upon request.