Staunton District Legislative Update - Fall 2020
Randy Kiser, P.E.
I am pleased to share the Fall 2020 Staunton District Legislative Update.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Staunton District continues to move forward with completion of several construction projects, the closing of Round 4 of SMART SCALE applications and advancement of the Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Plan (CIP) projects.
Additionally, the district has many projects under design or under construction.
Please see the I-81 Project Map. This map has two pages.
The first is a listing of projects that are funded, active, under construction or completed within the Staunton District. The second page is a map of the Staunton District I-81 projects listed in the I-81 Corridor Improvement Plan.
For the I-81 CIP projects, please see the I-81 Corridor Improvement Plan. Here you will see the listing and status of all the I-81 CIP projects and operational work within the Staunton District.
Please note, that in mid-2020, VDOT launched a new website for the I-81 CIP projects at https://improve81.org.
In August 2020, the SMART SCALE application process closed for Round 4 of new submittals. The Staunton District had 45 applications, with funding request estimates totaling $154.4 million. These cost estimates are subject to change, pending validation analysis that will take place in the fall of 2020.
Scoring will take place in early 2021. Please see the SMART SCALE 2020 applications.
Since August 2019, we have completed several major projects. These listings have been removed in this issue, but we want to acknowledge these significant construction milestones:
- Alleghany County - Chessie Site access road – Create a paved road to the Town of Clifton Forge’s Chessie Railroad access site. Contract value: $553,905.
- Frederick County - I 81 - Exit 315 at Route 7 north deceleration lane extension. This contract combined several projects: I-81 Exit 323 north deceleration ramp and south acceleration ramp, I-81 Exit 315 north deceleration ramp, I-81 Exit 296 north acceleration ramp and south deceleration ramp. Contract value: $1,898,125. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2017: $481,001.
- Frederick County - I-81 - Exit 323 near West Virginia state line acceleration and deceleration lanes. This contract combined several projects: I-81 Exit 323 north deceleration ramp and south acceleration ramp; I-81 Exit 315 north deceleration ramp; I-81 Exit 296 north acceleration ramp and south deceleration ramp. Contract value: $1,898,125. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2016: $1,756,031.
- Frederick County - Route 644 (Papermill Road) at Route 522 (Front Royal Pike) turn lane. Contract value: $367,183. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2017: $503,961.
- Frederick County - Route 655 (Sulphur Springs Road) reconstruction. Contract value: $5,333,008. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2017: $2,812,610.
- Frederick County - Crossover Boulevard / Tevis Street Extension. This locally administered project is the Y intersection project at Crossover Boulevard and Tevis Street Extension. The project was removed due to unfunded matching dollars.
- City of Winchester - Locally administered. Tevis Street Extension. This project is a component of the Tevis Street connector road between Route 522 and Pleasant Valley Road. The Tevis Street Extension project extends Tevis Street in the City of Winchester from Legge Boulevard to I-81 right of way limits to connect with Frederick County Revenue Sharing Tevis Street projects. Contract value: $1,945,033.
- Town of Luray – Locally administered. West Main Street Bridge rehabilitation / replacement over Hawksbill Creek. Contract value: $3,856,020.
- City of Lexington - Locally administered. Taylor Street reconstruction from Wallace Street to Houston Street. Contract value: $780,000.
- City of Harrisonburg - Locally administered. I-81 - Exit 245. Relocate I-81, Exit 245 north off-ramp at Port Republic Road (Route 253) to align with Forest Hills Road. Contract value: $2,491,483. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2016: $3,645,172.
- Rockingham County – Locally administered. Route 687 (Massanetta Springs Road) safety improvements, including turn-lanes at Route 33. Contract value: $2,177,572.
- Rockingham County - Route 921 (Lairs Run Road), North Fork Shenandoah River Bridge. Replacement of the low-water bridge. Contract value: $1,593,020.
- Shenandoah County - I-81 – South mile marker 273. I-81 CIP project: Flashing chevrons at a curve with a high crash count. Estimated cost: $163,000.
- Shenandoah County - I-81 Exit 296 - North acceleration and south deceleration lane extensions. Contract value: $1,898,125. SMART SCALE funding awarded 2017: $997,481.
- Town of Strasburg - Locally administered - Route 11 (North Massanutteen Street / Old Valley Pike). New pedestrian multi-modal sidewalk / trail along Route 11. Contract value: $1,010,310
- Town of Strasburg - Locally administered - King Street streetscape. Install historic lighting fixtures, brick stamped sidewalks, crosswalks and landscaping. Contract value: $1,175,700.00.
This issue of the Legislative Update provides a county-by-county summary of the 11 counties in the VDOT Staunton District. This overview contains projects that are either in their later development stages, later planning stages or under construction.
We welcome your comments and questions. Please feel free to contact our residency administrators or me at your convenience.
I am also very happy to meet with you and your staff in person to discuss the VDOT Staunton District projects and programs.
VDOT Staunton District
811 Commerce Road
Staunton, Virginia 24401-9029
Residency administrator contact information:
Susan Hammond, Lexington Residency
Highland, Alleghany, Rockbridge and Bath counties
275 Alphin Lane
Lexington, Virginia 24450
Don Komara, Harrisonburg Residency
Augusta, Rockingham and Page counties
3536 N. Valley Pike
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802
Ed Carter, Edinburg Residency
Frederick, Shenandoah, Clarke and Warren counties
14031 Old Valley Pike
Edinburg, Virginia 22824