Local Assistance Division
Locally Administered Projects
VDOT is committed to developing programs and processes that provide local governments the necessary tools to successfully administer transportation programs and that provide consistent requirements so federal and state stewardship and oversight obligations can be met and projects can be implemented in the most efficient and effective manner
- Locally Administered Projects Manual
- VDOT’s Locally Administered Programs and Projects policy (includes policy implementation efforts)
- Locally Administered Construction Advertisement Commitments
- Local partnership team – training and outreach
- Forms – Requests to administer, checklist, standard agreement
- Keys to success (things to remember)
Project Information Reports
The report provides basic project information including:
- General Project Identifiers
- Estimate and expenditure details
- Dashboard performance
User Guide available here: Local Assistance Division Project Information Report
VDOT tracks the status of projects through a number of Reporting Systems. Found below, these Systems track Locally Administered Projects from a project’s Initiation through Construction.
Local Assistance Program Performance Report
This Local Assistance Program Performance Report provides information on:
- District on-time and on-budget development performance overview
- Within District locality comparison of on-time and on-budget
- Locality summary with development trends and workload
- Locality projects with late billings (no invoices in four months or more)
- Local Assistance Program Performance Report User Guide
Project Cost Estimating System (PCES)
- PCES is the primary system for developing and storing cost estimates for specific projects in the Six Year Improvement Plan (SYIP) and the Secondary Six Year Improvement Plan (SSIP).
- All project estimates must be updated in PCES at least once every six (6) months.
- Localities can register to attend PCES Training Sessions through the VDOT University Virtual Campus. Instructions for registering through the VDOT University Virtual Campus can be found here.
- Implemented July 1, 2018, Dashboard 4.0 displays on-time and on-budget project delivery information, with increased focus on monitoring interim milestones throughout the project development process. The Dashboard provides the potential to identify issues earlier in the life of a project, in order to keep projects on track.
- VDOT Dashboard
- Dashboard Performance tool
Smart Scale Dashboard
- The Smart Scale Dashboard is an enhanced tool that lets the public see how Localities and VDOT are delivering projects under the Smart Scale Program from project Initiation through Construction. A unique set of business rules are used to determine on-schedule and on-budget statuses for all Smart Scale Projects.
- Smart Scale Dashboard
- Webinar recording from Thursday, March 2, 2017
- PowerPoint Presentation
Smart Scale Dashboard is best viewed with mobile devices. Please send all questions and comments regarding the Smart Scale Dashboard to SmartScaleDashboard@vdot.virginia.gov.
Note: All other projects will continue showing on the VDOT Dashboard
Non-VDOT Advertised Projects (NVAP)
Implemented July 1, 2018, NVAP is an interactive tool that gives local governments the ability to provide important updates during a project’s construction through an easy-to-use SMART Portal data entry site. Local governments are required to use NVAP for all locally advertised projects awarded after July 1, 2018. Additional guidance can be found in the LAP Manual, Section 184.108.40.206 – VDOT Databases.
VDOT Pre-Award Evaluation
To assist in the overall evaluation of architectural and engineering consultant proposals, pre-award evaluations are conducted to determine if the provisions of the proposed agreement are in compliance with VDOT policy and federal regulations (23 CFR Part 172). The pre-award evaluation should, to the fullest extent possible, determine the financial capability of the firm, the adequacy of the organization’s accounting system and the propriety of overhead and labor additives. To assist localities and consultants on expediting this review for fixed billable rate "professional service" contracts, please use the following instructions and templates when submitting to VDOT for review:
- Instructions to Local Public Agencies (LPAs)
- Instructions to Engineering Consultants on LPA projects
- Pre-Award Templates - Note: The Consultants will fill out and send these templates to the LPA for review prior to sending to VDOT.
Federal Subrecipient Reporting
Annually, all sub-recipients receiving in excess of $750,000 of federal funding must complete a Schedule of Federal Awards (SEFA) as part of their Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
The following presentation explains the process for reviewing pass-through entities (sub-recipients) Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
The following information is provided to sub-recipients of federal funding to assist them in meeting the reporting requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 2 Subtitle A Chapter II Part 200.
FY21 – Sub-recipient Information
- FY21 - VDOT Controller Letter to Sub-recipients
- FY21 - Response Form
- FY21 - Federal Expenditures to Sub-recipients Spreadsheet
- Job aid to assist in use of sub-recipient spreadsheet 2021
FY15 Sub-recipient Information
FY16 Sub-recipient Information
FY17 Sub-recipient Information
FY18 Sub-recipient Information
FY19 Sub-recipient Information
Local Assistance Program Compliance Assessments
- 2021 compliance assessment summary
- 2017/18 LAP Compliance Assessment Summary
- 2016 compliance assessment summary
- 2015 compliance assessment summary
- 2014 compliance assessment summary
- 2013 compliance assessment summary
- 2013 Federal Highway Administration process review report - Local Program Assistance project review
- 2012 compliance assessment summary
FY20 – Sub-recipient Information
- Sub-recipient monitoring letter to localities 2020
- Response form 2020
- Federal Reimbursements to Sub-recipients Spreadsheet – Fiscal Year 2020
- Job aid to assist in use of sub-recipient spreadsheet 2020
FHWA Compliance Assessment Program Review Reports
Lloyd Arnold, local administration program manager, 804-371-4870
Kurt Kuppert, local administration program manager (Bristol, Northern Virginia, Culpeper, Fredericksburg, and Salem districts), 804-786-2595
Jonathan Liss, Local Administration Program Manager (Lynchburg, Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Staunton districts), 804-371-8764
Cynthia Clark, local administration program manager, 804-371-6289