The Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) Local Assistance Division develops policy and provides guidance for special funding programs and other programs that impact work performed by localities, and serves as a liaison to local governments. The division also:
- Manages several special funding programs
- Manages urban roadway inventory and system changes
- Manages the local assistance payments program
- Provides policy oversight and guidance for locally administered projects
- Provides outreach and training for local programs
***Email Update Sign-up***
VDOT’s Local Assistance Division offers email notifications when we update our web pages. Sign up to be notified when we post revised guidance, letters to local governments or training opportunities. Sign up!
- Summer 2022 Newsletter
- Click here to learn about the ProjectWise Deliverables Management System.
- New Qualification Program Sessions are available. Click here for more information.
- Ready, Set, Go! Transportation Alternatives Grant Program: VDOT is excited to provide a pilot grant program designed to assist Virginia's smaller population local partners in identifying, evaluating, and reporting achievable, affordable, and targeted non-motorized improvements. If selected for funding, a consultant-led team will assist <50,000 population communities to prepare for their potential FY25-26 Transportation Alternatives application (next round begins in Spring 2023). These project evaluations will provide the preliminary information needed to apply for federal Transportation Alternatives funding.
- Eligibility is limited to non-MPO communities with a 2020 census population of <50,000.
- Application deadline: Friday, October 21, 2022
- Award announcements are expected November 4, 2022. Ready, Set, Go!
- APPLY HERE