Location and Design Division
L&D Home • Business Administration • CADD Support • GeoSpatial Program • Hydraulics and Utilities Project Management Office • Roadway Design and Special Projects • Standards, Special Design, Policy and Quality Assurance • Traffic Design • Water Resources Program
Design Technologies (CADD Support)
Design Technologies Support section is responsible for providing technical support for all the department’s Design-related software packages. Services are provided on a statewide basis to all divisions within the VDOT Engineering Directorate. Services are provided to external consultants and/or contractors on an as needed basis.
Our team of Design Technologies Specialists includes experts in the use of software packages such as, but not limited to, Power GEOPAK, ProjectWise, Bentley Open Suite Programs, Bluebeam, and IdenTrust.
The Section is also responsible for scheduling and providing virtual training of Bentley software applications. Plan Coordination reviews for all Tier II Right of Way and Construction plan assemblies for advertisement.
Our Plan Library Specialist maintains the archive of Statewide Highway Plans, research, and provides electronic copies of plans upon request.
Christopher “Chris” M. Ruhf
Design Technologies Program Manager
Administration, Procurement, Budgets, Special Projects
VDOT - Location & Design Division
1401 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23219
Send your questions and comments to the Design Technologies Helpdesk or call (804)786-1280. A trouble ticket will be created, and you will get a return email with an assigned case number.
- VDOT CADD Training for Consultants and Contractors - 2023
- OpenRoads Designer (ORD) Connect Edition - 2023
- ProjectWise Account for Consultant Users - 2023
- ProjectWise Account for Contractors - 2023
- CADD Software and Application Support
- CADD Support Helpdesk
- Data Analyst
- Plan Library
- WEB Support
Information You Can Use
- 3D Model Development Manual
- CADD Manual
- Electronic Plan Submission Flow Chart
- Email and Phone Directory
- Letter from State Location & Design Engineer - Migration to Bentley’s OpenRoads Designer (ORD) Software
UPDATED - OpenRoads Designer (ORD) Migration Efforts
- LD-893 - VDOT Software License Request Form
- LD-897 - Request Form For Engineering Plans
- LD-899 and ITD36E - Request access to VDOT's ProjectWise
- LD-900 - Consultant Project Access Request
- LD-900A - Consultant Project Access Request for Locally Administered Projects (LAP)
- ProjectWise Login Instructions
- VDOT MicroStation OpenRoads Template Library (Template Abbreviations)
- VDOT OpenRoads Guide and Frequently Asked Questions
- VDOT Training Manuals and Datasets Available for Download