VDOT Materials Certification Schools
2021 Materials Certification Schools (MCS)
ATTENTION: Please read the following carefully (COVID-19 Guidance).
This guidance is FINAL as of May 14, 2021 (no further extensions will be granted beyond those listed below).
Thank you for all you have done to keep Virginia moving safely throughout the pandemic. It has been a time of challenge and pivots, and you have risen to the occasion, every time.
One consequence of the pandemic has been a snowball effect that created a license and certification backlog. We are requesting your direct assistance to bring these renewals up to date by January 31st, 2022. This includes all certifications in the 2019-2021 range.
We made this decision after careful consideration. This includes feedback from the industry, colleges and VDOT, and the new date reflects the following factors:
- Respectful of the high demands of the heavy construction season
- Offers a nine-month window to complete required certifications
- Considers both summer leave and December slow-downs
- Embedded off-peak time to complete requirements
- Takes into account CDC guidelines and vaccination trends
So that we can keep our workers and projects safe, anyone who does not meet this requirement by January 31st, 2022, will not be eligible to work on VDOT projects until the requirement is met.
We encourage you to plan accordingly and register soon, to allow ample time for your staff to meet all the requirements needed for recertification. We also encourage you to contact Duane Sayre at email@example.com to sign up for the MCS Manager’s report, which is offered to help you better track and manage progress throughout the year.
As a reminder, all certification courses are available either online or through a self-study option at the respective community colleges. For written and proficiency exams, contact the community colleges to schedule either an in-person or remote exam. For registration assistance, questions or concerns, please contact:
- Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA) at (804) 523-2290
- Germanna Community College at (540) 937-6757
PLEASE NOTE: Current holders of the ACI Concrete Field-Testing Technician certification or the WACEL Concrete Level I Technician certification, who have recently expired may continue working on VDOT projects until 1/31/2022. After 1/31/2022, a valid ACI or WACEL certification will be required.
General Program Information
The MCS courses are currently being delivered through a partnership between VDOT, the Virginia Education Center for Asphalt Technology (VECAT) with Germanna Community College (GCC) and the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA).
VECAT, through Germanna Community College (GCC), is hosting the following courses, which are now available either online or in a face to face format:
- Asphalt Field Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 and Level 2
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design
- Cold Asphalt Recycling Field
- Cold Asphalt Recycling Plant
- Full Depth Reclamation (FDR)
- Slurry Surfacing
- Surface Treatment
The CCWA is hosting the following courses, which are available in a traditional (instructor-led) format or as a self-study option, allowing the students to challenge the Materials Certification exams:
- Soils and Aggregates Compaction
- Concrete Plant
- Central Mix Aggregate Plant
- Pavement Marking (only available as an online course)
For more information on CCWA courses and registration click here or contact CCWA at 804-523-2290 or 804-523-2292.
Students are required to register for classes on the GCC and/or CCWA web sites. ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Access to test grades will be first done on GCC and CCWA and certification credentials will ONLY be available through VDOT University Virtual Campus, so ALL students must have a valid account on VDOT University. Grades and certifications are issued within 15-30 business days after the testing date.
For questions or concerns regarding MCS grades or certification status, contact us at MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov .
If you are currently participating in VDOT's Materials Certification Schools, you can access your Materials Certification Reports via the VDOT University Virtual Campus:
Maintenance of Certification
All of the MCS Certifications are valid for five years and must be retaken every five years to maintain the certification. If your certification expires this year, you must successfully complete all requirements for the certification by completing an instructor-led or self-study course and any proficiency in the same calendar year.
Some courses also require that the proficiency be demonstrated at a VDOT approved locations. Enrollment can be completed on through Germanna Community College or CCWA. That list has been provided below:
- Asphalt Plant Level 1 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Level 2 - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Asphalt Plant Mix Design - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by Germanna CC
- Concrete Field - Current ACI must be submitted to MaterialsCertification@vdot.virginia.gov
- Soils and Aggregate Compaction - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA
- **New **Central Mix Aggregate Plant - Physical demonstration of proficiency - scheduled by CCWA **New**
To learn about CHANGES up to 2018, please review the following:
- MCS Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- 2013 Program Changes (PDF)
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Certification Program Schedule
- Nuclear Radiation Certifications can now be obtained online through third party vendors (PDF)
MCS Learning Partnership Update Newsletter:
If you have more in-depth questions, contact the Materials Certification Schools team:
Phone: Scott Manning 804-229-5118 or Duane Sayre 804-328-3150