Hazardous Materials

Who do I contact at the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) about the regulation of hazardous materials?

Contact the Virginia State Police, the enforcing agency, with questions about transporting hazardous materials. Any questions regarding hazardous materials transportation can be forwarded to Lt. Patrick Sedillo.

There are special considerations for hazardous materials that are being transported through one of the six state-owned tunnels.  Contact VDOT at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623) for more information.

Who do I contact about transporting hazardous materials through a state-owned tunnel?

Contact VDOT at 804-786-4692. The National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802 should be notified of spills of a reportable quantity. That number is available 24 hours a day.

What are the six tunnels that are state-owned?

For information about...


Big Walker Mountain Interstate 77


East River Mountain I-77


Elizabeth River-Downtown Interstate 264


Elizabeth River-Midtown Route 58


Hampton Roads Interstate 64


Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Interstate 664


Where can I get more information about the transport of hazardous materials?

These websites should be helpful:

Page last modified: March 27, 2023