STEM Outreach At VDOT
Inspiring The Next Generation Of VDOT Employees
There is more to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) than filling potholes and moving snow. Every aspect of VDOT encompasses STEM fields.
We invite students and teachers to explore the variety of careers at VDOT through transportation-themed lessons and hands-on activities.
Below is also a link to rules and registration information for our annual bridge building competition.
For questions about our resources or events, contact Angela Parsley, STEM Coordinator: 804-328-3047 or email@example.com.
Lessons and Resources
- PBS Build It Big Bridges
- Intelligent Transportation Lessons – NanoSonic
- Transportation careers
- U.S Department of Transportation - Resources for teachers and mentors
VDOT Bridge Building Competition
April 18, 2020 - Hermitage High School (Henrico County)
- Students design, build, and present their bridges.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Open to middle and high school- aged students in Virginia. Scouting groups, homeschool groups, and teams from private schools are encouraged to participate.
- Audio from bridge-building workshop
- Rules and registration details:
Note: The AASHTO national bridge competition rules are different from the VDOT rules. All teams are encourages to try for the national competition which requires some additional requirements.
Education and Training
- Civil engineering
- Old Dominion University
- George Mason University
- Virginia Tech
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Military Institute
- Construction inspector/ maintenance technician
Technology in Transportation
- Physics Central - High-tech road science: Where nano meets pavement
- Business Insider - New asphalt closes road cracks using nanoparticles