What We Believe
What We Do Matters
Our work at the Virginia Department of Transportation directly impacts everyone in a major way.
It is our responsibility to provide a safe and reliable transportation system to support the safety, quality of life, and economic well being of citizens and communities across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
We believe every employee has a unique role to play in upholding this responsibility.
We value diversity in our workforce and recognize the importance of combining our unique perspectives and strengths to work towards achieving our common goals and upholding our mission.
Our mission is to plan, deliver, operate and maintain a transportation system that is safe, enables easy movement of people and goods, enhances the economy and improves our quality of life.
Regardless of location, title, or tenure, all of our employees are dedicated public servants who embody these shared values:
- Excellence in customer service: We are responsive to customer needs and consider what the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) does in terms of how it benefits our customers. We treat both internal and external customers with respect, courtesy, and fairness.
- Safety is Number 1: We are committed to safety and continuous improvement is everything we do. We learn from our mistakes and successes alike.
- We trust, respect, support and encourage each other.
- We respect and protect the public investment.
- We are 100 percent responsible: We make decisions based on facts and sound judgment. We accept accountability for our actions.
- We never stop learning: We strengthen our expertise using information, tools, and technology to achieve high performance and stay on the cutting edge.
- We think ahead: We are always acting and planning creatively for today and tomorrow.
VDOT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Learn more about VDOT employment policies.
Page last modified: Aug. 6, 2020