VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Jan. 7, 2022
Travel Advisory: 10 p.m. Thursday, January 6, 2022
BRISTOL – With snow currently falling in southwest Virginia, crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) are out in force performing snow removal operations.
To allow snowplow operators the space they need to perform their work, VDOT asks motorists to avoid non-essential travel overnight.
Be alert to the following road conditions as of 10 p.m.:
• Interstate 81: scattered snow and ice patches in Washington and Smyth counties, snow-covered sections of roadway between Atkins and Wytheville (Wythe County).
• Interstate 77: snow-covered sections of roadway between Wytheville and the West Virginia state line; clear but wet pavement south of Fort Chiswell in Wythe County.
• The majority of primary and secondary roadways in Bland, Lee, Scott, Smyth, Washington, Wise, Buchanan, Dickenson, Russell, and Tazewell counties are snow-covered.
• In Wythe County, Route 52 and secondary highways are snow covered; the majority of routes have snow and ice patches.
• In Grayson County, be alert to snow-covered conditions on Routes 16, 58, 362 and secondary highways. Most primary routes have scattered snow and ice patches.
(*Secondary highways are routes numbers 600+.)
Interstates, primary roads and major secondary roads with vital emergency and public facilities, or those with high traffic volumes will be cleared first.
VDOT’s Customer Service Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Citizens can dial 1-800-FOR- ROAD (1-800-367-7623) from anywhere in the state to report road hazards, ask transportation questions, or get information related to Virginia’s roads.
The Bristol District Twitter feed is at @VDOTBristol. VDOT can be followed on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube. RSS feeds are also available for statewide information. The VDOT Web page is located at www.VirginiaDOT.org. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.