VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Joey Barker 276-696-3333
March 10, 2023
Bristol's Weekly Traffic Alert March 13-19
BRISTOL – In an effort to keep motorists informed, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) provides weekly information about highway construction and maintenance projects in southwestern Virginia. When traveling through highway work zones, use caution and be alert to changes in traffic patterns and slow-moving or stopped traffic.
To help motorists take the guesswork out of travel plans, call VDOT’s 511 or visit http://www.511virginia.org for real-time traffic information.
Entries with asterisks (***) indicate the listing is new or the status of the project has changed since last week’s traffic alert.
Interstate 81 – truck climbing lanes: The project to add a truck climbing lane to Interstate 81 northbound near mile marker 39 in Smyth County is underway. The roadway shoulder is closed during construction. Pay close attention to work zone signs. (Completion: May 2024)
Interstate 81 - Exit 17: Be alert to nightly lane closures on Interstate 81 at exit 17 and on Route 75 beneath the interstate as part of the I-81 exit 17 improvement project. The exit 17 project includes improvements to the exit 17 northbound on and off ramps, improvements to a segment of Route 75, reconstruction and relocation of Gravel Lake Road, lengthening the I-81 southbound on ramp, and relocation of the frontage road located adjacent to the northbound exit 17 off ramp. The speed limit is 60mph through the work zone. (Completion: Spring 2023)
Interstate 77 – Exit 64: Motorists should be alert to work underway to improve Interstate 77 at exit 64 in Bland County. The project includes maintenance repairs to the I-77 bridges over Route 61 and Clear Fork Creek and improvements to the exit 64 northbound and southbound ramps. (Completion: May 2023)
I-77 bridges over Cove Creek: Be alert to a project to replace the Interstate 77 bridges over Cove Creek in Wythe County, located about two miles north of Interstate 81 between mile markers 44 and 42. Motorists can expect an altered traffic pattern on southbound I-77 and periodic nighttime lane closures while work is underway. (Completion: late April 2023)
***Interstates 81 and 77 maintenance activities: Be alert to the following lane closures due to interstate maintenance activities:
- Nighttime bridge repairs/replacement northbound and southbound March 13-16 between mile markers 82 and 86 (Wythe County). Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction in the right lane during the repairs.
- Day and nighttime bridge repairs northbound near exit 35 in the Chilhowie area of Smyth County March 13 – March 17. Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction during repairs.
- Daytime and nighttime bridge deck repairs near mile marker 72 northbound in Wythe County March 13 – March 17. Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction in the right lane during the repairs.
- Daytime super load traveling through area northbound from mile marker 82 in Wythe County to mile marker 221 March 15-16.
- Nighttime bridge inspection work northbound and southbound from mile marker 41 to mile marker 46 in Smyth County and northbound and southbound from mile marker 66 to mile marker 68 in Wythe County.
- Nighttime bridge deck repairs northbound near mile marker 29 in Washington County and near mile marker 46 in Smyth County.
- Nighttime bridge inspection, closing ramps northbound near mile marker 73 in Wythe County March 15-16.
- Nighttime soil borings southbound near mile marker 9 in Washington County.
- Daytime and nighttime pothole patching in Washington, Smyth and Wythe counties.
- Day and nighttime bridge deck repairs southbound from mile marker 64 to mile marker 61 in Bland County March 13 – March 16.
- Day and nighttime bridge work southbound from mile marker 43 to mile marker 42 in Wythe County March 19-24. Lane will be reduced to 12 feet during closure.
- Nighttime spill cleanup northbound near mile marker 26 in Wythe County.
- Nighttime sign inspection southbound from mile marker 42 to mile marker 41 in Wythe County.
- Nighttime tunnel maintenance northbound from mile marker 45 to 49 in Bland County March 16-17. All Wide loads over 12 feet wide must stop before entering the tunnel.
- Nighttime bridge inspection work northbound and southbound near mile marker 52 in Bland County.
- Nighttime equipment installation northbound from mile marker 49 to mile marker 52 in Bland County.
- Day and nighttime technology equipment repairs southbound from mile marker 54 to mile marker 51 in Bland County.
- Daytime and nighttime pothole patching in Wythe and Bland counties.
PRIMARY HIGHWAYS AND HIGH TRAFFIC SECONDARY ROADS:
Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase A: Construction of Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase A is underway in Buchanan County. Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road) is on a temporary alignment. The Poplar Creek Phase A project created a permanent change for Route 614 (Woods Fork). Access to the north and south ends of Route 614 is via Routes 609 (Bulls Creek Road) and Route 604 (Polar Creek Road), respectively, which connect to Route 460 west of Grundy.
Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B: Work on Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B is underway in Buchanan County. Work is taking place from near Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road) to current Route 460 in Grundy.
Route 23 bridge over Speers Ferry: Work to rehabilitate the Route 23 bridge over Speers Ferry in Scott County is underway. Lane restrictions were recently removed, however, be alert to periodic, daytime lane closures due to work beneath the bridge. Motorists are advised to use caution in this area. (Completion: July 2023)
Route 622 bridge rehab: A project to rehabilitation the Route 622 bridge over N&W Railway in Smyth County is starting soon. Motorists should use caution in the area and pay close attention to signs and message boards. (Completion: May 2024)
*** Route 61 (Freedom Avenue) bridge replacement over the North Fork Clinch River: Beginning March 13, replacement of the Route 61 bridge over the North Fork Clinch River in Tazewell begins. Motorists should be alert to the bridge being closed to traffic during construction. Traffic will be detoured onto Dial Rock Road and Market Street while the replacement project is underway. (Completion: September 2023)
Route 91 slide repairs: A portion of Route 91 in Tazewell County remains closed and traffic is using Routes 601 and 607 to detour. The detour is approximately five miles. Once an assessment is performed, crews will begin cleanup and repairs.
Route 19: Be alert to daily delays on Route 19 near the Russell/Tazewell County line due to rolling roadblocks associated with blasting work. The work is due to establishing the intersection for Pure Salmon. (Completion: Winter 2023)
Route 58 widening near Damascus: Due to Route 58 construction activities near Damascus, be alert to periodic delays. Virginia Creeper Trail users should be alert to the possibility of flaggers directing trail traffic. Trail users may experience periodic delays of 15-30 minutes near the bridge. (Completion: May 2024)
Alternate Route 58 bridge rehabilitation: A project to rehabilitate the Alternate Route 58 bridge over the Guest River and Norfolk Southern Railroad in the City of Norton is paused until spring. (Completion: July 2023)
Business Route 23 in Wise: A project to widen a portion of Business Route 23 in the Town of Wise between Route 23 at McDonald’s and Cherry Street is underway. Pay close attention to flaggers and allow extra travel time. (Completion: December 2023)
Alternate Route 58 bridge repairs: Bridge repairs are underway on eastbound Route 58 in Wise County at the bridge over Bear Creek in the Norton area. Pay close attention to signs and watch out for workers. (Completion: July 2023)
Route 619 bridge: Due to replacement of the Route 619 bridge over Interstate 81 exit 84 in Wythe County, motorists should be alert to one-lane traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals across the Route 619 bridge. Be alert to the possibility of slight delays on I-81 due to the bridge work above the interstate. (Completion: Dec. 2023)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.