VDOT News - Bristol
Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Joey Barker 276-696-3333
April 28, 2023
May 1-7 Bristol's Weekly Traffic Alert
BRISTOL – In an effort to keep motorists informed, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) provides weekly information about highway construction and maintenance projects in southwestern Virginia. When traveling through highway work zones, use caution and be alert to changes in traffic patterns and slow-moving or stopped traffic.
To help motorists take the guesswork out of travel plans, call VDOT’s 511 or visit http://www.511virginia.org for real-time traffic information.
Entries with asterisks (***) indicate the listing is new or the status of the project has changed since last week’s traffic alert.
Interstate 81 – truck climbing lanes: A project is underway to add a truck climbing lane to Interstate 81 northbound near mile marker 39 in Smyth County. The roadway shoulder is closed during construction. Pay close attention to work zone signs. (Completion: May 2024)
***Interstate 81 - Exit 17: Be alert to nightly lane closures on Interstate 81 at exit 17 and on Route 75 beneath the interstate as part of the I-81 exit 17 improvement project. The exit 17 project includes improvements to the exit 17 northbound on and off ramps, improvements to a segment of Route 75, reconstruction and relocation of Gravel Lake Road, lengthening the I-81 southbound on ramp, and relocation of the frontage road located adjacent to the northbound exit 17 off ramp. The speed limit is 60mph through the work zone. (Completion: Late Summer/Early Fall 2023)
Interstate 77 – Exit 64: Motorists should be alert to work underway to improve Interstate 77 at exit 64 in Bland County. The project includes maintenance repairs to the I-77 bridges over Route 61 and Clear Fork Creek and improvements to the exit 64 northbound and southbound ramps. (Completion: May 2023)
***Interstates 81 and 77 maintenance activities: Be alert to the following lane closures due to interstate maintenance activities:
- Day and nighttime bridge repairs southbound from mile marker 36 to mile marker 38 in Smyth County May 1 – May 4. Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction.
- Day and nighttime bridge repairs southbound from mile marker 36 to mile marker 38 in Smyth County May 7 – 11. Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction.
- Day and nighttime bridge joint repairs southbound from exit 3 to mile marker 2 in Bristol May 1 - 5.
- Nighttime bridge deck repairs northbound at mile marker 16 and 25 in Washington County.
- Daytime bridge inspection work north and southbound at exit 3 in Bristol.
- Nighttime bridge inspection work north and southbound from mile marker 52 to mile marker 55 in Smyth County
- Day and nighttime bridge painting southbound from exit 70 to mile marker 66 in Wythe County May 7 – 12. Be alert to 14-foot lane restriction.
- Nighttime bridge deck repairs southbound at mile marker 9 in Washington County.
- Daytime super load move northbound from mile marker 80 to mile marker 81 in Wythe County May 1.
- Daytime super load move southbound from mile marker 55 to mile marker 0 in Washington and Smyth counties May 2 – 3.
- Nighttime pavement marking southbound from mile marker 0 to mile marker 87 in Washington, Smyth and Wythe counties.
- Daytime paving operations northbound from mile marker 74 to mile marker 78 in Wythe County May 1 – 3.
- Nighttime pothole patching north and southbound from Exit 54 to mile marker 73 in Smyth and Wythe Counties.
- Nighttime bridge repairs northbound at mile marker 32 in Wythe County. No wide loads over 14 feet.
- Daytime seeding operations north and southbound from mile marker 28 to mile marker 30 in Washington County.
- Nighttime bridge work southbound from mile marker 43 to 42 in Wythe County.
- Day and nighttime bridge work southbound from mile marker 65 to mile marker 61 in Bland County May 7 – May 12. Be alert to a 14-foot width restriction.
- Daytime pothole patching north and southbound from mile marker 41 to mile marker 67 in Smyth and Wythe counties.
- Nighttime installation for traffic sensor southbound from mile marker 64 to mile marker 61 in Bland County.
- Daytime super load move southbound from mile marker 32 to mile marker 14 in Washington County May 1.
- Day and nighttime soil borings northbound from mile marker 62 to mile marker 63 in Bland County May 1 – 5.
PRIMARY HIGHWAYS AND HIGH TRAFFIC SECONDARY ROADS:
***Route 604 (Walkers Creek Road): Be alert to periodic closures on Route 604 (Walkers Creek Road) in Bland County due to multiple bridge replacement projects along the route. Motorists are advised to watch for changing conditions, obey construction signs, and follow detours throughout this time-period.
(Completion: September 2023)
Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase A: Construction of Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase A is underway in Buchanan County. Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road) is on a temporary alignment. The Poplar Creek Phase A project created a permanent change for Route 614 (Woods Fork). Access to the north and south ends of Route 614 is via Routes 609 (Bulls Creek Road) and Route 604 (Polar Creek Road), respectively, which connect to Route 460 west of Grundy.
Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B: Work on Route 460/121 Poplar Creek Phase B is underway in Buchanan County. Work is taking place from near Route 604 (Poplar Creek Road) to current Route 460 in Grundy.
Route 622 bridge rehab: A project to rehabilitate the Route 622 bridge over Norfolk and Western Railway in Smyth County is underway. Work to put in temporary signals is happening for Route 11 and Route 622. Motorists should use caution in the area and pay close attention to signs and message boards. (Completion: May 2024)
Route 61 (Freedom Avenue) bridge replacement over the North Fork Clinch River: Replacement of the Route 61 bridge over the North Fork Clinch River in Tazewell is underway and the bridge is closed to traffic during construction. Use Dial Rock Road and Market Street to detour. (Completion: September 2023)
Route 16 (W. Riverside Drive) bridge replacement over Cavitts Creek: Work is underway to replace the Route 16 bridge over Cavitts Creek in Tazewell. Motorists should be alert to one-lane traffic being controlled by traffic signals. The travel lane width on Route 16 at the bridge will be restricted to 9 feet 6 inches. (Completion: June 2024)
Route 91 slide repairs: Cleanup and repairs to a portion of Route 91 in Tazewell County continues and a portion of the road remains closed. Routes 601 and 607 are the detour routes, an approximately 5-mile detour.
Route 58 widening near Damascus: Due to Route 58 construction activities near Damascus, be alert to periodic delays. Virginia Creeper Trail users should be alert to the possibility of flaggers directing trail traffic. Trail users may experience periodic delays of 15-30 minutes near the bridge. (Completion: May 2024)
Route 1712 (Old Dominion Road): Be alert to delays due to slurry paving on a portion of Route 1712 (Old Dominion Road) in Washington County, between Route 11 and Flame Leaf Drive. Pay close attention to signs and flaggers.
Alternate Route 58 bridge rehabilitation: A project to rehabilitate the Alternate Route 58 Bridge over the Guest River and Norfolk Southern Railroad in the City of Norton is paused until spring. (Completion: July 2023)
Business Route 23 in Wise: A project to widen a portion of Business Route 23 in the Town of Wise between Route 23 at McDonald’s and Cherry Street is underway. Pay close attention to flaggers and allow extra travel time. (Completion: December 2023)
Alternate Route 58 bridge repairs: Bridge repairs are underway on eastbound Route 58 in Wise County at the bridge over Bear Creek in the Norton area. Pay close attention to signs and watch out for workers. (Completion: July 2023)
Route 619 bridge: Due to replacement of the Route 619 Bridge over Interstate 81 exit 84 in Wythe County, motorists should be alert to one-lane traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals across the Route 619 Bridge. Be alert to the possibility of slight delays on I-81 due to the bridge work above the interstate. (Completion: December 2023)
I-77 bridges over Cove Creek: Replacement of Interstate 77 bridges over Cove Creek in Wythe County, located about two miles north of Interstate 81 between mile markers 44 and 42 is complete.
Route 652 embankment repair: Repairs to a portion of Route 652 (Edwards Ridge Road) in Dickenson County is complete.
Route 625 (Ceres School Road): Bridge replacement on Route 625 (Ceres School Road) in Bland County is complete.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.