VDOT News - Culpeper
|IMMEDIATE - 4 p.m. UPDATE
Lou Hatter (540) 717-2890
March 2, 2018
WINDS CONTINUE TO AFFECT TRAVEL ACROSS CENTRAL VA.
VDOT cautions drivers to anticipate fallen trees, utility lines, darkened traffic signals
CULPEPER — Virginia Department of Transportation and contractor crews are clearing trees and debris from the region’s roads as high winds continue to hamper travel across much of Virginia, including the Piedmont. Traffic signals are also reported out at some locations due to power outages.
Dozens of secondary roads are closed at this hour, the majority in Albemarle and Madison counties as well as other counties near the Blue Ridge Mountains where wind speeds have been highest. VDOT crews are working 12-hour shifts and will continue working through the night to clear roads, repair signs and other damaged infrastructure, and support utility crews while they repair fallen power lines. Check VDOT’s 511 website for updated information about which roads are closed.
The high winds are forecast to continue through the evening and VDOT cautions motorists to drive with extreme care since trees, limbs and other debris may fall onto the road without warning. Drivers with high-profile vehicles should be particularly cautious in windy conditions. As a reminder, if you encounter an intersection with a non-working signal, treat it as a four-way stop.
VDOT asks drivers to:
- Check road closures before you travel, and look at potential alternate routes.
- Reduce your speed and assume there may be a road obstruction ahead.
- Move over for responders with blue, red, and amber lights, including VDOT and utility crews.
- Always use your headlights in bad weather. Remember wipers on, lights on is the law.
- Ensure gas tanks are full, and have a good emergency kit. Here’s how: www.ready.gov/car
- Report road problems via my.vdot.virginia.gov or by calling 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623)
- Check www.511virginia.org or the 511 mobile app for road closures and traffic conditions
- Follow @VaDOTCULP on Twitter for updates
VDOT’s Culpeper District includes the counties of Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange and Rappahannock.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.