VDOT News - Fredericksburg
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
May 15, 2020
SEASONAL MOWING AND LITTER PICKUP UNDERWAY IN FREDERICKSBURG AREA
Drivers are asked to slow down, move over and be alert to crews working in the median and along the road shoulder on primary routes in Stafford, Spotsylvania and Caroline counties
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) maintenance crews are starting the first round of scheduled, seasonal mowing and litter pickup along various primary routes in the Fredericksburg area.
Beginning Monday, May 18, drivers should be alert to crews removing litter and mowing the shoulders on routes numbered 1-599 in Stafford, Spotsylvania and Caroline counties. Crews will work daily between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.
No work is scheduled to occur on Friday, May 22 through Monday, May 25 due to lane closure restrictions during Memorial Day weekend.
This litter removal and mowing operation is expected to be complete in approximately four weeks, weather permitting.
Drivers are advised to slow down, move over when possible, and be alert to slow-moving equipment operating in the road median and along the shoulder.
Work zone signs will be posted to alert drivers that they are approaching a mobile mowing operation or litter pickup.
Mowing began this week on Route 3 in Spotsylvania County between Interstate 95 and the Harrison Road area.
Starting next week, crews will begin mowing efforts for the following routes:
- Route 1, from the Fredericksburg City limits to the Prince William County line
- Route 3, from the bridge over the CSX railroad to the King George County line
- Route 17, from Route 1 to the Fauquier County line
- Route 212 (Chatham Heights Road), from Route 218 to Route 3
- Route 218 (Butler Road/White Oak Road), from Route 1 to the King George County line
- Route 1, from the Fredericksburg City limits to the Caroline County line
- Route 2, from the Fredericksburg City limits to the Caroline County line
- Route 3, from Harrison Road area to the Orange County line
- Route 17, from Route 1 to the Caroline County line
- Route 208, from Route 1 to the Louisa County line
- Route 208 Business, from Route 608 to Route 648
- Route 1, from the Spotsylvania County line to the Hanover County line
- Route 2, from Route 207 Business to the Spotsylvania County line
- Route 17, from the Spotsylvania County line to the Essex County line
- Route 30, from the King William County line to the Hanover County line
- Route 207, from Route 1 to Route 301
- Route 301, from King George County line to the Hanover County line
Report a Sight Distance Hazard
VDOT departs from its scheduled mowing of state-maintained routes to address grass or other vegetation that is causing a safety hazard, such as blocking a motorist’s view of oncoming traffic.
To report a road safety hazard, please contact VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) or online at my.vdot.virginia.gov. The Customer Service Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Motorists can find real-time information on lane closures, work zones, traffic and other incidents on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.