VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 10 a.m.
Dec. 10, 2019
Crews Gearing Up for First Morning Rush Hour Winter Weather of the Season
Drivers asked to closely monitor conditions
FAIRFAX - VDOT asks that drivers be alert for a wintry mix of rain and snow starting tonight through Wednesday morning.
What's Happening Now
- Area meteorologists are forecasting a wintry mix of rain and snow to begin late Tuesday through Wednesday morning. Drivers are asked to prepare now for impacts to the morning rush hour.
- Due to the rainy start, crews will not be pre-treating roads today. Crews across the district will begin mobilizing this evening.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Continue to closely monitor weather, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Before leaving, check road conditions along your route at www.511virginia.org, on the free app for Apple and Android, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- If road conditions become hazardous, delay travel for your safety and to give trucks time to treat roads.
- Be aware of potential for slick spots on areas prone to freezing such as bridges, ramps and overpasses.
- Allow extra time for trips, brake lightly and allow plenty of following distance. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates.
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/novaemergency.
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.