VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 1 p.m.
Feb. 28, 2019
Crews Prepping for Snow to Impact Friday Morning Rush Hour
Drivers asked to closely monitor conditions and plan to delay travel
VDOT asks that drivers be alert for up to several inches of snow and sleet that will impact roads tonight through Friday morning, as well as potential for wintry weekend weather.
What's Happening Now
- See the National Weather Service's Winter Weather Advisory in effect from this evening through 10 a.m. Friday, to include snow and sleet with accumulations of up to three inches.
- Crews are pre-treating roads today which will assist crews at the onset of snow, but drivers are asked to prepare now for impacts to the morning rush hour. Crews will begin staging along roads tonight.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Closely monitor weather, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Make plans now to telework or delay travel Friday morning until conditions have improved. Give crews time to plow and treat roads.
- While driving during winter weather is not advised, if you must, allow extra time for trips, significantly reduce speeds, brake lightly and allow plenty of following distance. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
- Be aware of potential for ice, especially areas prone to freezing such as bridges, ramps and overpasses. If road conditions become hazardous, delay travel for your safety and to give trucks time to treat roads.
- Before leaving, check road conditions along your route at www.511virginia.org, on the free mobile app, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.
Page last modified: Feb. 10, 2023