VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle T. Holland
Aug. 1, 2019
Major Lane Closures on I-395 North This Weekend, August 2-4
Closures needed for bridge work along I-395
FAIRFAX, Va. – Motorists should expect significant lane closures on the general purpose lanes along I-395 North this weekend, August 2-4, from Duke Street (Exit 3) to past Pentagon City/Crystal City (Exit 8C) for bridge rehabilitation work along the I-395 corridor. Starting at 8 p.m. Friday night, Aug. 2, the HOV lanes will be switched to the northbound direction and will remain in this direction for the weekend. Multiple closures on the northbound I-395 general purpose lanes will occur during nighttime hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Drivers traveling to D.C. are urged to use the HOV lanes. Local traffic may still use the general purpose lanes, but should expect closures. All drivers should expect delays and plan extra travel time.
The 95 Express Lanes from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford will operate on a standard schedule. Motorists should be aware that on Saturday, Aug. 3, from midnight to 2 p.m. the 95 Express Lanes will operate in the southbound direction while the I-395 HOV lanes are open northbound.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Access to the HOV lanes in the southbound direction will close at 8 p.m.; the HOV lanes will be reversed to the northbound direction.
- A single general purpose lane on I-395 North will close Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at 9 p.m.
- A second general purpose lane on I-395 North will close Friday night from 10 p.m. until 8 a.m. the following morning, Saturday night from 11 p.m. until 9 a.m. the following morning, and Sunday night from 11 p.m. until Monday at 5 a.m.
- To help ease traffic impacts, the HOV lanes from just north of Edsall Road to the D.C. line will be open, traveling in the northern direction.
- Thru-traffic (northbound to DC) is encouraged to use the HOV lanes, while local traffic may still use the open general purpose lanes.
- Weekly updates with specific closure information will be available at: ExpressLanes.com and VDOT's 395 Express Lanes Web Page.
- Current plans call for the reversible 95 Express Lanes, from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford, to operate according to their normal schedule.
The 395 Express Lanes, an eight-mile extension of the 95 Express Lanes to the Washington D.C. line, are scheduled to open this fall. Learn how Express Lanes work and how to get an E-ZPass at www.ExpressLanes.com.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.