VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 27, 2019
Overnight Closures and Traffic Stoppages on Route 28 and I-66 the Week of Sept. 29
Bridge beam installation continues at Route 28 Interchange
FAIRFAX – Bridge beam installation for a new bridge and ramps continues at the Route 28 and I-66 Interchange, requiring closure of Route 28 North at I-66 during the overnight hours Wednesday, Oct. 2, and Thursday, Oct. 3. Double lane closures on I-66 East at Route 28 will also be required during the overnight hours Sunday, Sept. 29, through Thursday, Oct. 3. Drivers will be directed to follow signed detours and should expect delays if traveling in this area. Closures are needed to safely install bridge beams over the roadway and ramps.
Sunday, Sept. 29, through Thursday, Oct. 3:
I-66 East from Compton Road to east of Route 28
- One lane will be closed at 9 p.m.
- Two lanes will be closed at 10 p.m.
- Ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North will be closed between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. Drivers will be detoured farther east to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) North, stay to the right for I-66 West, then follow signs to Route 28 North.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 2, and Thursday, Oct. 3:
Route 28 North and South between E.C. Lawrence Park and Route 29
- All closures listed above for Sunday, Sept. 29, through Thursday, Oct. 3, including closure of the ramp from I-66 East to Route 28 North from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of Route 28 North at I-66 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. Drivers will be directed to I-66 East to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) North, stay to the right for I-66 West, then follow signs to Route 28 North.
- Two lanes will be closed on Route 28 South from Braddock Road to I-66 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on southbound Route 28 between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. to lift bridge girders into place.
Closure of the ramp and two left turn lanes from Route 28 South to I-66 East from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Drivers will be detoured farther south to Route 29 (Lee Highway) North, stay to the right for Route 28 North, then follow signs to I-66 East.
The I-66/Route 28 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Message boards on I-66 and Route 28 are providing advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
When complete, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project will feature three general purpose lanes and two Express Lanes in each direction from I-495/Capital Beltway to Route 29 in Gainesville. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes are expected to open in December 2022.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.