VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Dec. 5, 2019
Overnight Lane and Ramp Closures on I-66 West This Weekend for Vaden Drive Bridge Pier Demolition
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the remainder of a bridge pier near the Vienna Metrorail Station this weekend will require overnight closures of the ramp to Country Creek Road and two travel lanes on I-66 West. Demolition of the Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 is nearing completion, and is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What Nearby Residents Should Expect:
- This weekend (Friday night, Dec. 6, through Sunday night, Dec. 8), overnight demolition of a bridge pier base along I-66 West between the westbound collector-distributor road and the main lanes is planned. This work requires nearby travel lanes to be closed and will begin around 10 p.m. each night.
- Demolition of the remainder of the north bridge abutment will continue during daytime hours and is expected to finish Friday or Saturday.
- Piledriving for the new bridge will begin during daytime hours the week of Dec. 9 after the north abutment has been removed.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Closures and traffic changes will occur around Nutley Street (Exit 66) and I-66 West on Friday, Dec. 6, and Saturday, Dec. 7, from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Sunday, Dec. 8, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- During these overnight periods, the western end of the I-66 West collector-distributor road and the Country Creek Road exit will be closed. Drivers wanting to access Country Creek Road should exit to Nutley Street North, turn left at the Virginia Center Boulevard traffic signal, and continue until the road becomes Country Creek Road.
- The ramps from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South will remain open.
- The ramps from Nutley Street and Virginia Center Boulevard to I-66 West will remain open, however drivers will merge earlier – near the Vienna Metrorail Station – to access I-66 West.
- Additionally, the two right lanes will be closed on I-66 West during these overnight periods.
- I-66 West drivers should remain alert for merging traffic.
- All lanes will reopen by 9 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and by 5 a.m. on Monday.
Recent Construction Progress:
- Demolition of all bridge spans over I-66 East and West and Metrorail tracks finished Nov. 25.
- Bridge pier demolition continues, with one pier and remainders of two others still to be removed.
- Demolition of the north bridge abutment during daytime hours is nearly complete.
- Pile driving for the new south bridge abutment is complete.
Work schedules are weather dependent and may be adjusted.
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
For updates, visit www.Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Demolition continues on the north bridge abutment to make way for new construction. (12/5)
Water is used to reduce the amount of dust during demolition. (12/5)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.