VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 15, 2019
Vaden Drive Bridge Construction Update: Bridge Demolition Activity Reduced This Upcoming Week
Remaining Span to Be Demolished Next Weekend
FAIRFAX – Four of five bridge spans on the Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 near the Vienna Metrorail Station have been demolished, and construction of the new bridge abutment has begun. Over the coming week, crews will demolish bridge piers on several nights, with no demolition planned on other nights. Demolition of the final bridge span and north bridge abutment are planned for the weekend of November 22 to 25.
Construction Progress During Week of Nov. 10:
- Completed demolition of bridge spans over I-66 East and West, the Metrorail tracks, and I-66 West mainline is complete.
- Began pile driving during daytime hours for the new southern bridge abutment.
Planned Activities for This Weekend and the Week of Nov. 17:
- Nighttime demolition of bridge piers along I-66 East this weekend (Nov. 15 and 16).
- Bridge pier demolition along I-66 East on the nights of Tuesday, Nov. 19, and Wednesday, Nov. 20.
- No nighttime demolition is currently planned for the nights of Sunday, Nov. 17, Monday, Nov. 18, and Thursday, Nov. 21. This could change based on inclement weather and construction progress on other nights.
- From 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 22, until 5 a.m. Monday, Nov. 25, crews will demolish the bridge deck and remove girders from the remaining bridge span over the I-66 West collector-distributor road. Crews will begin demolition of the north bridge abutment. These activities will occur during day and nighttime hours.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Three lanes of I-66 East will be closed between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19, and Wednesday, Nov. 20, while crews demolish a bridge pier. All lanes will be reopened by 5 a.m.
- Full weekend closure of the ramp from I-66 West to Country Creek Drive and the I-66 West collector-distributor road from 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 22, through 5 a.m., Monday, Nov. 25. Traffic entering westbound I-66 from Nutley Street or Virginia Center Boulevard will merge onto I-66 West through temporary access prior to the Vienna Metrorail Station.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and might be adjusted.
- Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 will remain closed for approximately 10 months to accommodate demolition and new construction. The temporary bridge closure is expected to cut the construction schedule in half – from 24 months to 12 months – and will reduce impacts on traffic as well as adjacent communities.
Drivers will be detoured to Nutley Street to access I-66 East or West or to reach points on the other side of I-66.
Demolition progress as of Friday, Nov. 15. The spans over I-66 East, the Metrorail tracks, and I-66 West have been removed. One span, the north abutment, and several bridge piers remain.
I-66 East from ground level looking toward the remaining bridge span and piers. (Nov. 15).
Pile driving for the new bridge abutment on the south side of I-66. (Nov. 15).
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
For updates, visit www.Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA .
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.