VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Oct. 25, 2019
Vaden Drive Bridge Construction Update: Bridge Demolition and I-66 East Lane Closures Continue
Demolition of spans and the southern bridge abutment continues; Construction of new bridge abutment slated to begin week of Oct. 28
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 near the Vienna Metrorail Station continues during daytime and nighttime hours. Lane closures on I-66 East will be required nightly to safely accommodate this work. Crews are demolishing the existing Vaden Drive bridge and constructing a new one as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
- The Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 closed last Friday night, Oct. 18.
- Crews demolished the southernmost span, over the closed portion of the exit ramp from I-66 East to Nutley Street. Work was completed in time for Monday morning’s commute, allowing commuter buses to use the nearby Saintsbury Drive ramp, which closed to regular traffic in September.
- Demolition of the bridge span over I-66 East and the southern bridge abutment has begun.
- Nighttime demolition of the span over I-66 East continues with removal of the concrete bridge deck and walls, followed by removal of the bridge girders later in the week.
- Daytime demolition of the southern bridge abutment is expected to finish, and will be followed by preparatory work to build the new bridge abutment. Pile driving during daytime hours is expected to begin at the end of the week or the following week (week of Nov. 4).
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Lanes will be closed on eastbound I-66 during nighttime hours on Monday, Oct. 28, through Saturday, Nov. 2, with only one lane open between the hours of 11 p.m. and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m. on weekdays and by 9 a.m. on weekends.
- Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 will remain closed for approximately 10 months to accommodate demolition and new construction. The temporary bridge closure is expected to cut the construction schedule in half – from 24 months to 12 months – and will reduce impacts on traffic as well as adjacent communities.
- Drivers are detoured to Nutley Street to access I-66 East or West or reach points on the other side of I-66.
Progress as of Thursday, Oct. 24. The span over the closed portion of the exit from I-66 East to Nutley Street has been removed and demolition of the south bridge abutment and the span over I-66 East has begun.
Demolishing the concrete barrier along the sidewalk on Friday night, Oct. 18.
Crews working to demolish the south bridge abutment on Thursday, Oct. 24. This work occurs during the midday period between morning and evening rush hours due to commuter buses using the adjacent Saintsbury Drive ramp.
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.