VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 10 a.m.
Jan. 17, 2020
Drivers Asked to Plan around Saturday Snow and Sleet
FAIRFAX - VDOT asks drivers to keep a close eye on the forecast and plan trips around a mix of snow and sleet forecast to make its way through the region on Saturday.
What's Happening Now
- A Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service will be in effect across the Northern Virginia District for Saturday. Read the latest from the National Weather Service or follow on Twitter @NWS_BaltWash.
- Snow and sleet could begin early morning in some areas, coupled with low surface temperatures that could quickly create slick conditions. Drivers are asked to plan now for variable conditions throughout the day Saturday.
- Crews have pre-treated trouble spots over the last couple of days and will begin reporting overnight through the region, ready to treat roads as needed when precipitation begins. Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for the latest.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Closely monitor the weather, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Check current conditions before traveling with local media, at www.511virginia.org, on the free app for Apple and Android, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- If road conditions become hazardous, delay travel for your safety and to give trucks time to treat roads. Leave earlier or delay trips to avoid driving in worsening conditions.
- Be aware of the potential for slick spots on areas prone to freezing such as bridges, ramps and overpasses.
- Allow extra time for trips, brake lightly, and allow plenty of following distance. Ensure enough gas and plenty of wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, an emergency car kit, and always use your headlights.
- Give trucks plenty of room to work, as they are heavy and slow-moving.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for real-time updates, photos and videos.
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/novaemergency.
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov.
- View the NOVA District Snow Fact Sheet.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.