VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 24, 2020
New Ramp from Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road Overpass Planned to Open Wednesday, Nov. 25
Drivers coming from the Walney Road/Cabells Mill Drive intersection will be able to cross Route 28 to reach Braddock Road; Eastbound travel on overpass, additional movements to open in coming months
FAIRFAX – The new, permanent ramp from Route 28 North to the new Braddock Road/Walney Road overpass over Route 28 will open on Wednesday, November 25, as part of the I-66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Route 28 interchange improvements.
Traffic on westbound Walney Road will be able to use the new overpass to cross Route 28 to reach Braddock Road, but will not yet be able to turn left onto the ramps to Route 28 South or I-66 West due to continued construction on the new overpass. Drivers traveling east on Braddock Road will not yet be able to use the new overpass to cross Route 28 to Walney Road.
Important details include:
- Around noon on Wednesday, November 25, the new, permanent ramp from Route 28 North to the Braddock Road/Walney Road overpass over Route 28 will open. To access the ramp, drivers on northbound Route 28 will stay to the left over I-66. At the top of the new ramp, drivers will be able to turn left onto Braddock Road headed west or right onto Walney Road headed east.
- Around noon on Wednesday, November 25, the section of westbound Walney Road west of Cabells Mill Drive will be reopened. Traffic on westbound Walney Road will be able to cross Route 28 to reach Braddock Road, but will not yet be allowed to turn left onto the ramps to Route 28 South or I-66 West due to continued construction. To access Route 28 South from Walney Road, drivers should continue to use the Route 28/Westfields Boulevard Interchange.
- Drivers traveling east on Braddock Road will not yet be able to use the new overpass to cross Route 28 to Walney Road. Recently opened permanent ramps from eastbound Braddock Road to Route 28 South and I-66 West remain open.
- Drivers traveling from I-66 West to Braddock Road and Walney Road will continue to take the exit to Route 28 North, travel to Westfields Boulevard, then head westbound to Braddock Road or eastbound to Walney Road. Construction continues on a direct access ramp from I-66 West to the Braddock Road/Walney Road overpass.
- The overpass is not yet open for pedestrians.
Drivers should always use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs in construction work zones.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The new Route 28 and I-66 Interchange will improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes.
Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.