VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
May 28, 2020
Overnight Closures of I-66 East and West at Route 123 Planned for Next Week for Bridge Beam Installation
FAIRFAX – Bridge beam installation for the new Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) overpass at I-66 will require closures of I-66 in both directions during the overnight hours Monday, June 1, and Tuesday, June 2, from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Drivers will be directed to follow signed detours using the exit ramps at the interchange and should expect delays if traveling in this area.
Monday, June 1, and Tuesday, June 2:
I-66 East and West at Route 123
- Full closure of eastbound and westbound I-66 at Route 123 from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m.
- Drivers on I-66 East will be directed to take the exit for Route 123. At the traffic signal, follow police direction to continue across Route 123 to the ramp back to I-66 East.
- Drivers on I-66 West will be directed to take the exit for Route 123 South. At the traffic signal, follow police direction to continue across Route 123 to the ramp back to I-66 West.
- Route 123 North and South will remain open with police direction.
- All lanes will reopen by 4:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 3, and Thursday, June 4, are back up nights, if needed.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Route 123 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The new interchange will include Express Lanes access, shared-use path, and room for future mass transit in the median of I-66.
Beam installation along I-66 West for the new Route 123 bridge on May 28, 2020.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.