VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 13, 2020
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 East and West Nov. 16-19 for Work on New Gallows Road Bridge
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West approaching Gallows Road are scheduled to continue next week during the overnight hours Monday, November 16, through Thursday, November 19, for overhead bridge work at the new Gallows Road Bridge over I-66. Work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Monday, November 16, through Thursday, November 19
I-66 East and West from Cedar Lane to Route 7 (Leesburg Pike)
- I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Gallows Road during the overnight hours, Monday, November 16, through Thursday, November 19, from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m.
- All lanes reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from 495 Express Lanes North to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed during the overnight hours, Monday, November 16, through Thursday night, November 19, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be directed to I-66 East, travel about 1.5 miles to Route 7, stay to the left and turn left at the signal, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Message boards on Gallows Road and I-66 will provide advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Gallows Road over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.