VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 15, 2020
Overnight Lane Closures, Stoppages Planned on I-66 East in Arlington This Weekend for Traffic Shift
I-66 East travel lanes to split for up to three months for construction on bridge over Bon Air Park/Custis Trail as part of I-66 Eastbound Widening Project
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures and traffic stoppages are planned for I-66 East in Arlington near Patrick Henry Drive this weekend, weather permitting, to implement a traffic shift as part of the I-66 Eastbound Widening Project. This work will split the two I-66 East travel lanes for more than a half mile beginning near the Patrick Henry Drive overpass to allow concrete bridge deck work to progress in the center section of the existing bridge over the Custis Trail at Bon Air Park.
- On Friday, July 17, and Saturday, July 18, between 8 p.m. and 9 a.m., one lane will be closed nightly on I-66 East from approximately Sycamore Street to Exit 71 (Fairfax Drive/Glebe Road) to implement a traffic split.
- Temporary traffic stoppages of up to 20 minutes will occur during the overnight hours from approximately midnight to 4 a.m.
- The split roadway configuration on I-66 East will be in place for about two to three months.
- The split will begin approximately 1,000 feet prior to the Patrick Henry Drive overpass and finish approximately 1,000 feet prior to the Harrison Street overpass.
- This work was previously scheduled for July 10.
The two lanes of I-66 East will be split for more than a half-mile for two to three months while concrete bridge deck work occurs in the center section of the existing bridge near Bon Air Park.
The I-66 Eastbound Widening Project is adding a travel lane along four miles of eastbound I-66. The additional lane is scheduled to open to traffic in fall 2020.
The project is also installing approximately 12,000 linear feet of new and replacement noise barriers along I-66 East and West. The project also includes building a new bridge over Lee Highway (Route 29) for the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail, and constructing a new direct access ramp from eastbound I-66 to the West Falls Church Metrorail Station at the Leesburg Pike (Route 7) Interchange.
Learn more about the I-66 Eastbound Widening Project and sign up for project updates and lane closure alerts at Transform66.org.
Drivers are urged to use caution and expect possible delays. Real-time traffic conditions and information is available at www.511virginia.org or through the 511 Virginia mobile app.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.