VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Sept. 7, 2021
Braddock Road/Walney Road Over Route 28 Opens to Eastbound Through Traffic Beginning on or about Friday Morning, September 10
Braddock Road/Walney Road will close overnight between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive on September 9 to implement change
FAIRFAX The Braddock Road/Walney Road Bridge over Route 28 will open to eastbound through traffic (from Braddock Road to Walney Road) beginning Friday morning, September 10. To implement this traffic change, Braddock Road and Walney Road between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive will be closed during the overnight hours Thursday, September 9, to reconfigure lane striping.
The ramps from I-66 West and Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road will also be closed. Traffic will be detoured using Westfields Boulevard. This work is part of continued traffic changes at the I-66/Route 28 Interchange for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled to Friday night, September 10, or Saturday night, September 11, if inclement conditions occur.
Thursday, September 9
Braddock Road and Walney Road between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive
- Braddock Road and Walney Road will be closed between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Drivers will be detoured to Westfields Boulevard to reach Route 28 South, I-66 West, and points on the other side of Route 28.
- Around 4 a.m. the road will reopen to through traffic in both directions.
- The ramp from westbound I-66 to Braddock Road and Walney Road will be closed from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Drivers will be directed to stay to the right on the ramp to continue to Route 28 North, and exit to Westfields Boulevard. Drivers traveling to Walney Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard East, and then turn right onto Walney Road. Drivers traveling to Braddock Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard West and continue to Braddock Road.
Ramp from Route 28 North to Braddock Road/Walney Road
- The ramp from northbound Route 28 to Braddock Road and Walney Road will be closed from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Traffic will be directed to continue farther north to the Westfields Boulevard Interchange. Drivers traveling to Walney Road will take the exit to Westfields Boulevard East, then turn right onto Walney Road. Drivers traveling to Braddock Road will take the exit to Westfields Boulevard West, then continue west to Braddock Road.
Drivers should use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs when traveling in this area.
The new Route 28 and I-66 Interchange will improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.