VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 11 a.m.
Jan. 25, 2021
Crews Prepping for Wintry Mix
Drivers asked to monitor forecasts and check road conditions before travelling this evening
FAIRFAX - VDOT asks that drivers closely monitor forecasts for wintry precipitation and potential freezing conditions in parts of Northern Virginia Monday evening and Tuesday morning, and adjust travel if needed.
What's Happening Now
- See the National Weather Service's Winter Weather Advisory, including portions of the Northern Virginia District, from 1 p.m. Monday through 7 a.m. Tuesday. Mixed precipitation is expected with snow accumulations of up to two inches and ice accumulations up to two tenths of an inch.
- Crews are spot pre-treating areas in higher elevations today. About 400 trucks will be staging along roads this afternoon, ready to treat roads as precipitation begins. Tree crews will also be on alert in case of downed branches due to ice.
VDOT Asks Drivers To:
- Closely monitor weather reports for shifts in forecasts in your area.
- Plan ahead. If road conditions become hazardous, delay travel for your safety and to give crews time to clear or treat roads.
- Be aware of the potential for ice. With freezing temperatures in the forecast, any precipitation may freeze quickly. If you must drive, use extreme caution in areas prone to freezing such as bridges, overpasses, hills, curves and ramps. See more winter driving tips.
- Monitor road conditions from home on www.511virginia.org, on the free mobile app, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- Follow us on Twitter at @vadotnova for real-time updates, photos and videos.
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/novaemergency and virginiadot.org/snow.
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.