VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 3, 2021
Demolition of Old I-66 Bridges over Stringfellow Road to Begin During Daytime Hours on or about November 6
Stringfellow Road will be reduced to two lanes, and the Stringfellow Road ramps to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed November 6-8
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the old I-66 East and I-66 West bridges over Stringfellow Road will begin Saturday morning, November 6, with bridge deck demolition planned during daytime and early evening hours on the weekends of November 6-7 and 13-14. The work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Stringfellow Road under I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction running in the southbound lanes beginning around 6 a.m. Saturday, November 6, to set up for demolition beginning around 9 a.m. Two-way traffic is planned to shift to the northbound lanes on Sunday and return to normal operations by 5 a.m. Monday, November 8. The Stringfellow Road ramps to and from I-66 East and West will also be closed during this period.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and consider using alternate routes.
What Neighbors Should Expect:
- Demolition of the concrete deck of the old I-66 West bridge over Stringfellow Road will occur between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturday, November 6, and Sunday, November 7.
- Demolition of the old bridges involves breaking up the old concrete bridge decks using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams, followed by removal of the steel bridge beams. The bridge beams will be removed with cranes during the overnight hours.
- The old I-66 East bridge deck over Stringfellow Road is scheduled to be demolished during the daytime and early evening hours November 13-14.
- After demolition of the old bridge spans is complete, the old bridge abutments will be demolished. This work will occur during daytime hours as much as feasible.
- Information about traffic impacts and demolition progress will be posted on transform66.org/stringfellow.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Saturday, November 6, through Monday, November 8
Stringfellow Road North and South between Fair Lakes Boulevard and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Beginning around 6 a.m. Saturday, Stringfellow Road will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction using the southbound lanes.
- Two-way traffic will shift to the northbound travel lanes on Sunday.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Ramp from I-66 West to Stringfellow Road
Ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East
- The ramps will be closed beginning around 6 a.m. Saturday.
- The ramps will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.