VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 6, 2021
I-66 West Travel Lanes Between Gallows Road and Nutley Street to Shift to New Pavement Next Weekend, August 13-15
I-66 West in Vienna area to be reduced to three travel lanes during daytime hours on Saturday and one travel lane on Friday and Saturday nights to accommodate work
FAIRFAX – The travel lanes on westbound I-66 between Gallows Road and Nutley Street will be shifted to new pavement on the right side (outer portion) of I-66 on or about the weekend of August 13, as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. This traffic shift will allow work to progress building the future I-66 Express Lanes in the center of the roadway. To implement the traffic shift, I-66 West in the Vienna area will be reduced to a single travel lane during the overnight hours Friday and Saturday, August 13 and 14. In addition, one lane on westbound I-66 in the same area will remain closed during the daytime hours Saturday, August 14.
Drivers traveling on I-66 and I-495 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15
I-66 West between I-495 and Nutley Street
- Beginning around 9 p.m. Friday one lane will be closed.
- Around 10 p.m. Friday, I-66 West approaching the Gallows Road overpass will be reduced to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 5 a.m. Saturday, followed by a third lane reopening by 8 a.m.
- During Saturday daytime and early evening hours (approximately 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.), one I-66 West lane will remain closed, with three through-lanes open.
- Around 10 p.m. Saturday, I-66 West approaching Gallows Road will be reduced to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 6 a.m., followed by a third lane reopening by 9 a.m.
- All lanes of I-66 West will reopen on the new roadway alignment by midday Sunday.
Ramp from I-495 North to I-66 West
Ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West
- The ramps will be reduced to a single travel lane Friday night, August 13, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Saturday night, August 14, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South
- The ramp will be closed from around 10 p.m. Friday night, August 13, continuously through 6 a.m. Sunday, August 15.
- Traffic will be directed farther west to the exit for Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Station, stay to the right onto Country Creek Road, continue onto Virginia Center Boulevard, then at the traffic signal turn left to Nutley Street North or turn right to Nutley Street South.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Following this lane shift on westbound I-66, crews will begin installing beams on the new flyover bridge from I-495 North to I-66 West, which is the longest bridge of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Work to install the bridge beams will require overnight closures of various ramps and travel lanes at the I-66/I-495 Interchange, including periodic overnight full closures of I-495 through the end of the year.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.