VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Jenni McCord 571-230-2926
Mike Murphy 703-638-8547
June 22, 2021
I-95 South Auxiliary Lane Construction Underway in Woodbridge
Update: Nighttime lane closures on southbound I-95 in project area continue June 30
Update: Lane closures will continue on soutbound I-95 from Route 123 to the Prince William Parkway between 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 30 and 6 a.m. Thursday, July 1.
WOODBRIDGE – Work is underway to create an auxiliary lane on southbound I-95 from Route 123 (Gordon Boulevard) to the Prince William Parkway (Route 294), according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
The project will convert about a mile and a half of the existing shoulder to a travel lane, from the end of the existing entrance ramp from Route 123 to the beginning of the exit ramp to the Prince William Parkway. The auxiliary lane will make it easier for drivers to merge into and out of traffic between the ramps and free up additional room for through-drivers.
The project will also:
- Provide a new paved shoulder
- Relocate noise walls as needed
- Replace impacted roadway lighting
- Install or upgrade guardrails
- Build new retaining walls.
Southbound I-95 averages about 92,000 vehicles a day in this area.
Lane Closures June 24-29
Daytime lane closures will occur along southbound I-95 between Route 123 (Exit 160) and the Prince William Parkway (Exit 158) for preliminary work according to the following schedule:
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, June 24: Single-lane closures
- 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, June 25: Single-lane closures
Nighttime lane closures will occur along southbound I-95 between Route 123 and the Prince William Parkway for temporary restriping according to the following schedule:
- 10 p.m. Saturday, June 26 to 7 a.m. Sunday, June 27: Left lane and center lane closed
- 10 p.m. Sunday, June 27 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 28: Right lane and center lane closed (the Route 123 and Prince William Parkway ramps will remain open)
Nighttime lane closures will occur along southbound I-95 between Route 123 and the Prince William Parkway to install barriers according to the following schedule:
- 9:30 p.m. Monday, June 28 to 6 a.m. Tuesday, June 29: Right lane closed
- 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 29 to 6 a.m. Wednesday, June 30: Right lane closed
The I-95 southbound auxiliary lane project is expected to be complete in fall 2022. All work will be done within the existing right of way and mostly beyond concrete barriers, with few traffic impacts expected.
The project is being completed as part of the I-95 Corridor Improvement Plan, and is financed with a portion of the concession fee provided under the 95 Express Lanes Project Comprehensive Agreement.
Visit the VDOT project page for more details, including a video simulation of the new lane.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.