VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 16, 2021
New, Temporary Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South Opens on or about Wednesday, Feb. 17
FAIRFAX – Drivers exiting I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South will use a new, temporary ramp beginning on or about Wednesday morning, February 17. All traffic heading to Nutley Street will use the same ramp for northbound and southbound travel. Drivers heading to southbound Nutley Street will use a temporary traffic signal to turn left onto Nutley Street. These changes are needed for reconstruction of the Nutley Street Interchange as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. This is work has been rescheduled from earlier this month due to inclement weather.
The current ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North will be closed Tuesday night, February 16, between midnight and 4 a.m. for work necessary to implement the change.
Starting during the early morning hours of Wednesday, February 17, drivers should expect the following traffic pattern change, weather permitting:
I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South
- The current ramp from I-66 West to northbound Nutley Street will close and be replaced by a new ramp located slightly after (west of) the current exit.
- Drivers will access northbound Nutley Street by using the new exit ramp, then staying to the right.
- Drivers will access southbound Nutley Street by using the new ramp, staying to the left, then turning left at a temporary traffic signal.
Ramp closure and detour details to implement the traffic pattern change include:
Tuesday night, February 16
Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North
- The ramp will be closed between midnight and 4 a.m. for pavement striping and for crews to move barrier.
- Drivers will be detoured farther west on I-66 to the exit for Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail, stay to the right on to Country Creek Road and continue to Virginia Center Boulevard, then turn left at the traffic signal on to Nutley Street North.
- Drivers headed to southbound Nutley Street will follow the same detour, but turn right from Virginia Center Boulevard on to Nutley Street South.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
This temporary traffic pattern is necessary to allow construction of the new Nutley Street Interchange while keeping Nutley Street open to traffic. It will remain in place for approximately 18 months. When construction is complete, the interchange will feature two roundabouts, which will provide safer, more efficient travel for vehicles entering and exiting I-66, and improve safety for vehicles and pedestrians traveling on Nutley Street.
Drivers should always use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs in construction work zones.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.