VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 7035860487
Sept. 10, 2021
Overnight Bridge Demolition Continues at I-66/Route 50 Interchange Next Week (September 13-18) with Overnight Closures of Ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East
FAIRFAX – Continued demolition of the old Route 50 bridges over I-66 will require the ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East to be closed during the overnight hours Monday night, September 13, through Saturday night, September 18. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling in the area should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Demolition of the old Route 50 West Bridge over I-66 was completed on July 16.
- Demolition of the old Route 50 East Bridge over I-66 was completed on August 13.
- Crews completed demolition of the concrete bridge deck over the ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East during the week of September 7.
What’s Ahead Next Week:
- Crews will remove the steel bridge beams, followed by demolition of the bridge pier and abutments using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Demolition work will occur during the overnight hours when over I-66 travel lanes or the ramp to I-66 East.
- For updates on demolition progress visit outside.transform66.org/route50
What Drivers Should Expect:
Ramp from Route 50 East to I-66 East
Monday night, September 13, through Saturday night, September 18
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Wednesday nights; from midnight to 4 a.m. Thursday night; and from midnight to 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights.
- Traffic will be directed farther east, stay to the left and use the left-most left turn lane to make a U-turn at the traffic signal at Waples Mill Road, then stay to the right and follow signs to I-66 East.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.