VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 30, 2021
Overnight Bridge Demolition Continues at I-66/Route 50 Interchange Tonight (July 30) and Next Week (August 2-7); Multiple Nights of Closures, Stoppages Planned for I-66 East and West
Multiple ramp closures, detours will also be in place
FAIRFAX – Continued demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge over I-66 will require multiple nights of closures and traffic stoppages on I-66, along with associated ramp closures and detours tonight (July 30) and next week (August 2-7). Planned traffic impacts include reducing I-66 East and West approaching Route 50 in Fairfax to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile tonight and Monday through Thursday nights (August 2-5). Two-way traffic will run on the I-66 West side so that crews can safely perform works to prepare for demolition of the old concrete bridge deck.
On Friday and Saturday nights (August 6-7), I-66 West will be closed at Route 50 for crews to safely remove overhead bridge beams. Traffic will be detoured using Route 50 and West Ox Road. The I-66 West ramps to/from Route 50 will also be closed. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Crews have completed removal of the old eastbound Route 50 concrete bridge deck over the I-66 West travel lanes.
- Demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66 was completed on July 16.
What’s Ahead This Weekend and the Week of August 2:
- Demolition of the remainder of the old eastbound Route 50 bridge over I-66 East will continue with removal of the concrete bridge deck using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams, followed by removal of steel bridge beams
- Demolition work will occur during overnight hours when over travel lanes of I-66.
- For updates on demolition progress, visit transform66.org/route50
What Drivers Should Expect:
Friday, July 30; Monday, August 2, through Thursday, August 5
I-66 East and West Between Monument Drive and Waples Mill Road
- Around 10 p.m. each night traffic on I-66 East approaching Monument Drive will be narrowed to a single lane and directed to cross over on to the I-66 West side of the roadway. Eastbound traffic will remain in this pattern until east of Route 50, where it will then cross back over to the I-66 East side of the interstate through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10 p.m. each night traffic on I-66 West approaching Waples Mill Road will be narrowed to a single right lane and remain on the right side of the interstate beyond Monument Drive. Westbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where eastbound traffic crosses on to the westbound lanes.
- Between 10 p.n. and 5 a.m. each night (10 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Friday night), two-way traffic on I-66 West will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (6 a.m. on Saturday, July 31)
Ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed Friday night from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Monday through Thursday nights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West
- The ramp will be closed Friday night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Monday through Thursday nights from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured prior to the closure to Route 50 East, stay to the left and make a U-turn from the left-most left turn lane at the Waples Mill Road traffic signal on to Route 50 West.
Friday, August 6, and Saturday, August 7
I-66 West at Route 50
- I-66 West travel lanes will be closed at Route 50 from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night.
- All westbound I-66 traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to Route 608 (West Ox Road) South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m.
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night for removal of overhead bridge beams.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.