VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 11, 2021
Overnight Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 West and Route 50 West March 14-19 for Continued Bridge Work at I-66/Route 50 Interchange
Overnight closure of the ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West planned March 14-19
FAIRFAX – Continued bridge beam installation for the new Route 50 West Bridge over I-66 will require lane closures and stoppages on I-66 West and Route 50 West during the overnight hours March 14-19. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
The ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West will also be closed these nights.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area during these times and should consider using alternate routes.
Sunday, March 14, through Friday, March 19
I-66 West from Waples Mill Road to Route 50
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road each night from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic brief stoppages of up to 10 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (by 9 a.m. Saturday).
Route 50 West from Waples Mill Road to I-66
- Route 50 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 each night from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. (until 6 a.m. Saturday)
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. (by 6 a.m. Saturday)
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 West, and then follow signs to I-66 West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lane access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Beam lifts for the new Route 50 East Bridge were completed last month.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.