VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 12, 2021
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 in Gainesville Tonight and March 15-16 for Continued Overhead Bridge Beam Installation at University Boulevard
University Boulevard over I-66 Reduced to Two Lanes through Wednesday, March 17
FAIRFAX – Overnight lane closures and traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 East and West approaching University Boulevard in Gainesville will continue tonight, Friday, March 12, and next week, Monday, March 15, and Tuesday, March 16, for crews to perform overhead bridge work and install overhead bridge beams on the University Boulevard Bridge over I-66. The work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
University Boulevard over I-66 will remain reduced to a single travel lane in each direction through mid-day Wednesday, March 17. During the overnight hours Monday, March 15, and Tuesday, March 16, two-way traffic will be flagged in a single, alternating lane on the southbound side of University Boulevard.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and should consider using alternate routes.
Friday, March 12
I-66 East from Route 29 Gainesville to University Boulevard
- I-66 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching University Boulevard from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m.
Monday, March 15, and Tuesday, March 16
I-66 West from Prince William Parkway (Route 234 Business) to University Boulevard
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching University Boulevard from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. nightly
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- All lanes reopen by 6 a.m.
University Boulevard at I-66
- From 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, northbound University Boulevard over I-66 will be closed with alternating two-way travel flagged in a single lane on the southbound side of University Boulevard.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The University Boulevard Bridge over I-66 is being widened to accommodate new I-66 Express Lanes access to and from the east near the new University Boulevard Park and Ride Lot. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.