VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Oct. 13, 2021
Paving Work to Reduce I-66 East in Vienna Area to Three Lanes During Daytime and Evening Hours on Saturday, October 16; Single Lane Open During Friday and Saturday Overnight Hours
Closures needed to shift travel lanes on I-66 East to new roadway between Nutley Street and Gallows Road; Nutley Street ramps to I-66 East closed both nights
FAIRFAX – I-66 East in the Vienna area will be reduced from four to three travel lanes during daytime and evening hours on Saturday, October 16, and will be reduced to a single lane on Friday and Saturday nights, October 15 and 16. These closures will allow paving work to occur, followed by the shifting of lanes on I-66 East between Nutley Street and Gallows Road to new pavement on the right side (outer portion) of the interstate.
The ramps from Nutley Street North and South to I-66 East will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights as part of this work. Detours will be posted.
Drivers traveling on or near this section of I-66 this weekend should expect delays and consider using alternate routes. Work is weather dependent and subject to change.
This is one of many traffic shifts that will occur along I-66 East and West between Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Gainesville and I-495 this year. Traffic is being shifted to new pavement on the outer portions of I-66 as construction advances for the future I-66 Express Lanes in the center of the roadway.
Friday, October 15, and Saturday, October 16
I-66 East from Nutley Street to Gallows Road
- Beginning around 9 p.m. Friday one lane will be closed.
- Around 10 p.m. Friday, two additional lanes will be closed on I-66 East approaching the Nutley Street, reducing the interstate to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 5 a.m. Saturday, followed by a third lane reopening by 8 a.m.
- During Saturday daytime and early evening hours (approximately 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.), one I-66 East lane will remain closed, with three through-lanes open.
- Around 10 p.m. Saturday, I-66 East approaching Nutley Street will again be reduced to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 6 a.m. All lanes of I-66 East will reopen by 9 a.m. Sunday.
Ramps from Nutley Street North and South to I-66 East
- The ramps will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights.
- Traffic in both directions will be directed to I-66 West, exit to Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road), stay to the left and turn left at the traffic signal onto Route 123 South, then stay to the left and turn left at the next traffic signal to I-66 East.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.