VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
June 22, 2021
Ramp Openings, Traffic Changes at I-66/Route 28 Interchange and Braddock Road/Walney Road This Weekend, June 25-27
Changes include opening of permanent ramp from Braddock Road and Walney Road to I-66 West, connection to Route 28 South from Walney Road, and closure of ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South through August 22
FAIRFAX – New ramps are scheduled to open connecting Braddock Road, Walney Road, Route 28, and I-66 West on or about Sunday morning, June 27, as part of continued traffic changes at the I-66/Route 28 Interchange area for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Traffic changes at the Braddock Road/Walney Road Bridge over Route 28 include:
- Activation of two new traffic signals on the overpass to allow additional traffic movements.
- Opening of a new permanent ramp to I-66 West from Braddock Road and Walney Road (new access).
- Vehicles from Walney Road will be able to turn left to Route 28 South and I-66 East using the current ramp from Braddock Road. Due to the continued closure of the loop ramp from Route 28 South to I-66 East (through October 2021), vehicles heading to I-66 East will be detoured via the ramps at the Route 28/Route 29 (Lee Highway) Interchange.
- Vehicles will not yet be able to cross the bridge headed east from Braddock Road to Walney Road. This movement is planned to open August 22, 2021.
To implement these changes, the following closures will occur this weekend, Friday, June 25, through Sunday, June 27, weather permitting:
Braddock Road and Walney Road Between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive, and the ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road/Walney Road
- Around 11 p.m. Friday, June 25, Braddock Road and Walney Road will close between Newton Patent Drive and Cabells Mill Drive. Drivers will be detoured to Westfields Boulevard to reach Route 28 South.
- Around 11 p.m. Friday, June 25, the ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road/Walney Road will close. Drivers will be directed to stay to the right and continue on the ramp to Route 28 North, then travel to the exit to Westfields Boulevard. Drivers traveling to Braddock Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard West, and continue to Braddock Road. Drivers traveling to Walney Road will exit to Westfields Boulevard East, and then turn right onto Walney Road.
- The ramp from I-66 West and the closed section of Braddock Road and Walney Road are planned to re-open by Sunday morning, June 27, after the new ramp connections are complete and the new traffic signals are operational.
Ramp from Route 28 South to I-66 West
- From 11 p.m. Saturday until 5 a.m. Sunday, the ramp from Route 28 South to I-66 West will be closed for crews to implement traffic pattern changes.
- Traffic will be detoured farther south to Route 29 South, travel about one mile and follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South
- Around 11 p.m. Saturday, June 26, the ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South will close. It will remain inaccessible through Sunday, August 22, to allow for continued construction at the I-66/Route 28 Interchange.
- During the overnight hours Saturday, June 26, a temporary detour will be in effect directing traffic farther west to exit to Route 29 in Centreville, turn left at the traffic signal to Route 29 North, then follow signs to Route 28 South.
- Around 7 a.m. Sunday, June 27, the new traffic signals on the Braddock Road/Walney Road overpass will be activated and the overnight detour will change to a long-term detour pattern.
- This long-term detour requires drivers traveling from westbound I-66 to Route 28 South to take the I-66 West exit to Braddock Road/Walney Road, turn left at the traffic signal at the top of the ramp, stay to the left and turn left to Route 28 South. This detour will remain in place until the loop ramp from I-66 West to Route 28 South reopens on Sunday, August 22.
Drivers should use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs when traveling in this area.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The new Route 28 and I-66 Interchange will improve traffic flow on I-66 and Route 28, and provide access to and from the future I-66 Express Lanes. The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes, which span from I-495 to Route 29 in Gainesville, are expected to open in December 2022.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.