VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Mike Murphy 703-638-8547
July 22, 2021
Rehab of Duke Street Bridge over I-395 Underway in Alexandria
Project scheduled for completion in winter 2023/24
ALEXANDRIA – Work is underway to rehabilitate the Duke Street (Route 236) bridge over I-395, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
The bridge was originally built in 1965. The improvements will extend the overall life of the bridge and improve safety for drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians, and include:
- Replacing the concrete bridge deck and beams
- Upgrading the westbound sidewalk to a shared-use path
- Widening the eastbound sidewalk
The $16.7 million project is financed with federal and state funding, including State of Good Repair funding used for bridges. The project is scheduled for completion in winter 2023/24.
During construction, lane closures on Duke Street are allowed according to the following weekly schedule:
- Monday through Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Monday night through Thursday night: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Friday night: 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Saturday night: 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Sunday night: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Some day and overnight lane closures along the I-395 general purpose lanes, as well as overnight lane closures along the 395 Express Lanes, may also be scheduled at the Duke Street overpass.
Learn more on the VDOT project webpage.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.