VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 12, 2021
REMINDER: Paving Work to Reduce I-66 West in Vienna Area to Three Lanes During Daytime and Evening on Saturday, Aug. 14; Single Lane Open During Friday and Saturday Overnight Hours
Closures needed to shift travel lanes on I-66 West between Gallows Road and Nutley Street
UPDATE (8/14): Due to anticipated rain on Saturday night, August 14, it is possible that reopening of travel lanes and the ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street will be delayed on Sunday morning, August 15. Follow VDOT on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA for updates.
FAIRFAX – Drivers are reminded that I-66 West in the Vienna area will be reduced from four to three travel lanes during daytime and evening hours this Saturday, August 14, and will be reduced to a single lane Friday and Saturday nights, August 13 and 14. These closures will allow paving work to occur, followed by the shifting of lanes on I-66 West between Gallows Road and Nutley Street to new pavement on the right side (outer portion) of I-66.
The exit from I-66 West to Nutley Street will be closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Sunday as part of this work. Detours will be posted.
Drivers traveling on and near this section of I-66 this weekend should expect delays and consider using alternate routes. Work is weather dependent and subject to change.
This is one of many traffic shifts occurring along I-66 East and West between Route 29 (Lee Highway) in Gainesville and I-495 this year as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Traffic is being shifted to new pavement on the outer portions of I-66 as construction advances for the future I-66 Express Lanes in the center of the roadway.
Friday, August 13, through Sunday, August 15
I-66 West between I-495 and Nutley Street
- Beginning around 9 p.m. Friday one lane will be closed.
- Around 10 p.m. Friday, I-66 West approaching the Gallows Road overpass will be reduced to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 5 a.m. Saturday, followed by a third lane reopening by 8 a.m.
- During Saturday daytime and evening hours (approximately 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.), one I-66 West lane will remain closed, with three through-lanes open.
- Around 10 p.m. Saturday, I-66 West approaching Gallows Road will be reduced to a single travel lane. A second lane will reopen around 6 a.m. Sunday, followed by a third lane reopening by 9 a.m.
- All lanes of I-66 West will reopen on the new roadway alignment by midday Sunday.
Ramp from I-495 North to I-66 West
Ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West
- The ramps will be reduced to a single travel lane Friday night, August 13, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and Saturday night, August 14, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 West to Nutley Street North and South
- The ramp will be closed from around 10 p.m. Friday night, August 13, continuously through 6 a.m. Sunday, August 15.
- Traffic will be directed farther west to the exit to Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Station, stay to the right onto Country Creek Road, continue onto Virginia Center Boulevard, then at the traffic signal turn left to Nutley Street North or turn right to Nutley Street South.
Following this lane shift on westbound I-66, crews will begin installing beams on the new flyover bridge from I-495 North to I-66 West, which is the longest bridge of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Work to install the bridge beams will require overnight closures of various ramps and travel lanes at the I-66/I-495 Interchange, including periodic overnight full closures of I-495 through the end of the year.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.