VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
June 11, 2021
Stringfellow Road Closed at I-66 During Overnight Hours Tomorrow, June 12, and Next Week, June 14-15, for Overhead Bridge Work
Traffic stoppages planned for I-66 East and West near Stringfellow Road in Chantilly on Saturday night, June 12
UPDATE (6/15/2021): There will be a simultaneous, 10-minute stoppage of traffic on I-66 East and West approaching Stringfellow Road tonight, Tuesday, June 15, to move materials. State Police will help coordinate the stoppages.
FAIRFAX – Northbound and southbound Stringfellow Road approaching I-66 will close nightly Saturday, June 12, Monday, June 14, and Tuesday, June 15, to allow for continued installation of bridge beams for a new I-66 East bridge over Stringfellow Road as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Drivers traveling on Stringfellow Road will be directed to a detour route and should allow extra time.
The Stringfellow Road ramps to I-66 East/from I-66 West will also be closed during this time.
Additionally, traffic stoppages are planned for I-66 East and West approaching Stringfellow Road during the overnight hours Saturday night, June 12, between midnight and 4 a.m., so that crews can move a bridge beam at Stringfellow Road. Traffic on I-66 will be stopped in both directions simultaneously for up to 10 minutes to accommodate this work. State Police will help coordinate the stoppages.
Saturday, June 12; Monday, June 14; and Tuesday, June 15
Stringfellow Road North and South between I-66 and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Monday and Tuesday nights from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- On the north side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Fair Lakes Boulevard, turn right on to Fair Lakes Parkway, travel about one mile and turn right on to the ramp to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) South, follow signs to Route 29 (Lee Highway) South, and travel about two miles on Route 29 South to reach the intersection with Stringfellow Road. Vehicles can then turn left for southbound Stringfellow Road or turn right to return toward I-66.
- On the south side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Route 29 North, travel north on Route 29 for two miles, then follow signs to Route 286 North. Drivers will then exit at Fair Lakes Parkway/Monument Drive and stay to the left to turn left at the traffic signal on to Fair Lakes Parkway, turn left on to Fair Lakes Boulevard, and then turn right on to Stringfellow Road to head north.
- All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. Sunday, and by 5 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
Ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., and Monday and Tuesday nights from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.