VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 27, 2021
Updated Schedule for Overnight Bridge Demolition at I-66/Route 50 Interchange This Week; Full Closure of I-66 West at Route 50 Planned During Overnight Hours July 27 through August 1
Multiple ramp closures, detours will also be in place
FAIRFAX – Continued demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge over I-66 will require all lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 50 to close nightly between Tuesday, July 27, and Sunday, August 1. The I-66 West ramps to/from Route 50 will also be closed. Traffic will be detoured using Route 50 and Route 608 (West Ox Road). The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- Demolition of the old Route 50 West bridge over I-66 was completed on July 16.
- Route 50 East traffic was shifted to a new bridge over I-66 on July 17.
- Crews began demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge on July 18.
What’s Ahead This Week:
- Demolition of the old Route 50 East bridge deck will begin with the use of jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams. This will be followed by removal of steel bridge beams.
- Demolition work will occur during overnight hours when over travel lanes of I-66.
- For updates on demolition progress, visit transform66.org/route50
What Drivers Should Expect:
Tuesday, July 27, through Sunday, August 1
I-66 West at Route 50
- All I-66 West travel lanes will be closed at Route 50 nightly from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. (6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
- Westbound I-66 traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to Route 608 (West Ox Road) South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (6 a.m. Saturday and Sunday).
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lanes access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.