VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Kathleen Leonard 703-638-9115
Mike Murphy 703-638-8547
Nov. 12, 2021
Virtual Design Public Hearing Nov. 17 on Vienna Metro Station Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements
Participate and give feedback online; learn more at virginiadot.org/ViennaMetroBikePed
VIENNA – The Virginia Department of Transportation will hold a virtual design public hearing Wednesday, Nov. 17 on plans to construct bicycle and pedestrian improvements near the Vienna Metro station along Country Creek Road/ Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the ramp to westbound I-66, and along Sutton Road between Blake Lane and Country Creek Road.
VDOT and Fairfax County plan to make the following interim improvements:
- Creating a separated two-way cycle track on eastbound Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the Metro North Parking Lot entrance by restriping and installing posts or barriers for separation
- Adding a buffered bike lane on Sutton Road between Sutton Green Court and Country Creek Road
- Upgrading pedestrian signals
- Installing related signs and pavement markings
Proposed final improvements include:
- Constructing shared-use paths along Blake Lane and Sutton Road from the I-66 bridge to Country Creek Road
- Adding a separated two-way cycle track with adjacent sidewalk along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard
- Implementing a road diet along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard from Sutton Road to the Metro North Parking Lot entrance
- Consolidating and relocating bus stops for improved transit access
- Realigning the I-66 westbound ramp to Country Creek Road
- Modifying the traffic signals at the intersections of Sutton Road and Blake Lane, Country Creek Road and the ramp from westbound I-66, and Country Creek Road and Vaden Drive.
- Installing new pavement markings and signs
The project is financed with federal, state and Fairfax County funding.
In lieu of an in-person hearing, VDOT invites residents and travelers to learn more, participate in the virtual hearing and give feedback in the following ways through Friday, Dec. 3:
- Attend the Wednesday, Nov. 17 online hearing. Register at virginiadot.org/ViennaMetroBikePed or to participate without registering in listen-only mode, call 877-309-2074 (use access code 302-267-074). The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 p.m. and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation. In case an alternate date is needed, the meeting will be held Thursday, Dec. 2.
- Provide comments via the online survey, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at 703-259-1794.
- Mail comments to Mr. Zamir Mirza, Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
- Request an in-person appointment during business hours at VDOT’s Northern Virginia District Office, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030. Please call ahead at 703-259-1794 or TTY/TDD 711 for an appointment.
VDOT ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact VDOT Civil Rights at 703-259-1775.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.