VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 25, 2021
Waples Mill Road Bridge Demolition to Require Lane Closures, Traffic Stoppages on I-66 Tonight, Feb. 25, through this Weekend
FAIRFAX – Ongoing demolition of the remaining portion of the old Waples Mill Road Bridge over I-66 will require overnight lane closures on I-66 East and West between Jermantown Road and Monument Drive tonight, Thursday, February 25, through Saturday, February 27. Overnight demolition and traffic impacts are anticipated to occur most nights through early March. The Waples Mill Road Bridge over I-66 is being rebuilt as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
What Neighbors Should Expect:
- Portions of the bridge over I-66 must be demolished during nighttime hours when multiple lanes of I-66 can be closed for the safety of the workers and the traveling public.
- Demolition activity includes breaking up the concrete bridge deck using jackhammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams followed by removal of the steel bridge beams.
- Noisier bridge deck demolition activity is anticipated to begin Saturday night, February 27, and require approximately 8 - 10 nights of work, depending on weather and other factors.
- Additional details on planned bridge demolition are available here.
What Drivers Should Expect This Weekend:
Thursday, February 25, and Friday, February 26
I-66 West between Jermantown Road and Monument Drive
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road on Thursday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., and on Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m. each night.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. (9 a.m. Saturday).
Saturday, February 27
I-66 East and West between Monument Drive and Jermantown Road
- I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between midnight and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 9 a.m.
Waples Mill Road between Fairfax Ridge Road and Valley Road
- Flaggers will direct Waples Mill Road traffic in a single lane between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The Waples Mill Road Bridge over I-66 is being rebuilt to provide room for Express Lanes and future mass transit as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. This work is being done in phases in order to maintain traffic on Waples Mill Road throughout demolition and reconstruction. The first phase of the new bridge opened to traffic in fall 2020.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.